The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Oh no I'm sorry! :( ...I'm supposed to receive my hatching eggs from him next week and he told me over a week ago his hens are being thrown off by the change of the weather temps. I haven't heard from him since as of yet ... Biting my nails in the mean time!

Maybe read back through the thread and get some ideas of other good breeders that may have some. :)

Tell me what you thing of this hen. She is just a year old. She could have better tail but I really like her.

This hen also same age. Although has nicer tail (starting molting so its deceiving) her comb isn't as nice!

Tell me what you thing of this hen. She is just a year old. She could have better tail but I really like her.

This hen also same age. Although has nicer tail (starting molting so its deceiving) her comb isn't as nice!

Both look pretty short in the body to me & I don't really see "brick shape".

I am a chef and offer these bullet points about Heritage Road Island Reds

Flavor profiles of heritage birds are wonderful.They give you so many different varieties

All other birds taste the same.Just peel off the plastic wrap and go Heritage instead for a new experience.

Broiling: Sources differ for the exact age and weights, but that’s probably because heritage breeds vary in size. In general, a broiler is less than two-and-a-half pounds and up to 13 weeks of age. Their meat can be cooked other ways, but because it can be cooked hot and fast and still be tender, they’ve earned the name “broiler.” Road Island Reds has a great broiling flavor at 8 weeks of age. They are nice and plump at this age, and the flavor profiles are to melt over.

Frying: These birds are about 13 to 15 weeks of age and weigh about 2½-5 pounds. The meat is still tender and is beginning to get some fat, but using high heat and fat for cooking is best. Voila—fried chicken! Take care that you choose the right cooking oil for high heats. Refined safflower, sesame or sunflower oils are best.

Roasting: there are many options for how to successfully roast a bird. These birds are about 3-7 pounds and are five to 10 months old. At this age, the meat has developed wonderful flavor profiles, but has lost tenderness because the muscles are developed and firm. Rather than brining the meat, like other birds at this age, Road Island Reds can be cooked in moist heat at 325 degrees for 20 minutes per pound. If roasted dry, they need basting, and or brining. Cooking them breast-side-down works well. A clay cooker or crock pot also does a good job, and rubbing oil all over the bird before cooking. I have also moist roasted and than flipped the bird over to quick roast the breast skin under the broiler.

Before I found my Mohawk line of RIR I got some very nice birds from Dick. I like the Mohawks a little better so am sticking with them. Dick is not prolific in terms of responding to every query, but I found him prompt when he ultimately had the birds/eggs to ship. He knows his birds.

Hoping for a nice hatch of the Mohawks the beginning of next week.

We have had mixed weather so struggled a bit with eggs getting chilled so viability has been less than awesome. I only have the opportunity to gather eggs in the evening and have a broody hen that gets on a few eggs in the morning, I take tehm away from her when I get home. I theorized that she gets them started and when I put them in the incubator a week later they have died. Anyone know how long an egg can begin to incubate, get cold and then be successful in the incubator?

Before I found my Mohawk line of RIR I got some very nice birds from Dick. I like the Mohawks a little better so am sticking with them. Dick is not prolific in terms of responding to every query, but I found him prompt when he ultimately had the birds/eggs to ship. He knows his birds.

Hoping for a nice hatch of the Mohawks the beginning of next week.

We have had mixed weather so struggled a bit with eggs getting chilled so viability has been less than awesome. I only have the opportunity to gather eggs in the evening and have a broody hen that gets on a few eggs in the morning, I take tehm away from her when I get home. I theorized that she gets them started and when I put them in the incubator a week later they have died. Anyone know how long an egg can begin to incubate, get cold and then be successful in the incubator?

PM Bentley on here he is a incubation master LOL I'm sure he could give you an approximation at least.

I know that some hens take weeks sometimes to lay a clutch of eggs to set on, so there has to be a lot of starting and stopping going on there IMO

Jeff

If she sets on them for say a day or two and then stops that's not good. Most hens get on the eggs sit for maybe two hours lay their egg and off till the next day then when when they are ready to sit the hormones kick in and the start clucking, sitting and pooping out big round hard stools which is typical of a sitting hen.

In regards to the hens above I saw them last night but had poor lighting. The at least have a level top line they looked like bantams to me. You need a oblong body on a red or brick shaped. If I can I will post a picture for you on a hen . I got a picture some where in the computer and I will post for you to see what a good brick shaped hen looks like. The color is good however. Do you know what strain or line they are out of? Thanks for posting the picture for us.

Yep I get that they can be on there while laying, but given my circumstance that broody is often on there for 12-14 hours before I get to the eggs. I think they may have started and then quit. Fertility on breakfast eggs is very good, but I sure get more than my fair share of quitters. I have a nice incubator well calibrated so thinking it shouldnt be the incubator. Still should have a nice bunch though as the hens are laying very well.

Back
Top Bottom