The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by Robert Blosl, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Why don't you send Jimmy a private message. He posted right above you. LOL

Old Jim's got about everything you'd ever want.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  2. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    When you get them, You can change your avatar to one--instead of the Frog..

Love your Avatar!

3. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    I think the reason is, this thread is more driven towards showy type names ie. Mohawk, Nelson, Rademacher,Bates, Underwood, ect.... lines. These are known to be great show strains and have the credentials to prove it. LOL Bob has mentioned Dicks birds a couple of times and says they are good birds for beginners and I concur. They are fine for the not so experienced RIR owners to get their feet wet in. As he says one reason is they are generally readily available due to him offering eggs and chicks which most breeders don't/won't mess with at all or if they did you would be lucky to get some due to the availability of the limited number of eggs to hatch for the season even still yet sometimes one might would have to wait the following season.

Good day

Jeff

Ps on the laying my SC RIR girls layed at approx. 6 mo old and started right off laying hen-sized eggs and lay very well esp. compared to my Barred Rocks they are penned with and all share the same diet J/S

Last edited: Apr 2, 2013
  4. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Horstman poultry right in your area you mentioned, PA

5. japman117201

japman117201 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2009
    Chambersburg
    I am in Chambersburg, Pa I have large Fowl RIRs.

6. cjschickens

cjschickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2012
    Thanks for all the replies !! As for the toad - that picture doesn't do justice to that toad. One of my dear 8 children found it and it was HUGE. I'll give ya , it is a queer avatar on a chicken page !! Just haven't gotten the right chicken to replace it. Thanks all ya folks !!

7. Laingcroft

Laingcroft Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    Love these two pictures!

The color and look of the Underwood chickens are so amazing - at least in the photos - I'd love to get my hands on some; but I have to wonder if it would be a waste. I could certainly maintain the quality with sound breeding practices, (and sticking with Underwood foundation lines from others -- Yup, read Bob's informative articles ;) ) but I don't have any plans to show. Unless of course I find I don't have enough going on after retirement in another 15 years or so. Should I bother trying to acquire some of these RIR (RC) to 'spread the RIR word/breed around' or go with other non-show lines?

As I mentioned in a prior email, I am NOT impressed with the production reds from prior experience.

8. melroseladi

melroseladi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Melrose, Florida
    At this point in my life I don't have an intent on showing but I would love to get my grandkids involved in showing next year. My intent on having my Underwoods is to breed them to the Standard. It is my little effort to not only help keep the Underwood line going but to do my part in bringing Reds, real Reds back to the public eye. When my friends, most of whom have hatchery birds, see my Reds their mouths just drop. I point out my production red to them and tell them to look at the difference between the two.

I was talking to my mom at Easter, she is in her 80's, about her childhood. Her dad was a minister so needless to say they did not have much money. The churches back then did not have much money to pay their ministers so the congregation was always giving them chickens. I asked what they looked like and she said that most of theirs were the big Red ones. She said that her dad could always tell how his sermon was received by which chickens he was given that week. Good sermon, Red chickens. Bad sermon, white chickens.

I spend a lot of time reading the old articles and books from the old timers and how they talk about the Reds dotting the country side. That is what I want. I want to do my part at dotting the countryside with big, beautiful Reds.

Penny

9. FOGELLY

FOGELLY Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2010
    Arkansas
    Penny, that is a worthy goal to have.
    Dotting the countryside with Reds.
    "Penny Appleseed" only with RIR.

Ron

10. stefanfarms

stefanfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2012