The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by Robert Blosl, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Robert Blosl

Robert Blosl Rest in Peace -2013

Mar 1, 2010
    Silverhill, Alabama
    When it comes to pictures of Rose Combs all lined up to look at like looking at chickens at a show I don't know of any. I even with the hundreds of pictures of reds in my computer do not has this ability. I do have them in my head. If you can get some chicks either from Gary Underwood or Aaron or eggs or something they are about as good as I can think of to start with.

Now if you do get ten chicks say from each person raise them up on your farm and then compare to see what strain you like best. Get rid of the other strain and move foreword.

Do not cross the two lines or you will spend five years cleaning up the mess you caused yourself. If you want to do this then do so. You will join the famous here today gone tomorrow club of red fancier's.

Contact Gary or Aaron and try to get something if you can. If you don't live to far from make a road trip to their home. I drove 300 miles to Gary's house stayed over night and came home with five dozen eggs 22 years ago. Learned a lot with him as every awake moment was talking reds.

Aaron has a good line of reds as far as I can see. They came from Radamaher from Minn.

So jump in and just try to get you some.

2. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    Where did Gary Underwood get his start of his reds, and his rosecomb reds?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  3. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008

From is father-it's a very old line.

4. melroseladi

melroseladi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Melrose, Florida
    George Underwood got his Reds as chicks in the spring of 1914, so next spring it will be 100 years. There is an article in the Chronicle July 2002 page 15 that has Gary's biography that you may find interesting.

Penny

5. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    You will like them, mine are very nice RIRs don't know how they measure up to the show type reds(never had and or seen any real RIRs till these) but utility and farm use wise they are good to go and so docile/laid back you will be amazed for sure.

Jeff[​IMG]

6. Robert Blosl

Robert Blosl Rest in Peace -2013

Mar 1, 2010
    Silverhill, Alabama

7. immyjay54

immyjay54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Anyone wanting to know about the Underwood line of birds can go to my site, http://jimspetsandpoultry.weebly.com , when you get to my site click on Underwood birds page and you will find out all you need. It is a very interesting read. I love it and have read it over and over.
    Jim

8. peachdawg78

peachdawg78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    Pensacola, Florida
    Now that is some very interesting information on some of the most prominent RIR lines. It is awesome that you are able to give such detailed empirical data on such a nice sampling of lines. Thank you for the link and the info.

9. immyjay54

immyjay54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Thank you so much for your kind comment.
    Jim

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Still looking for a Rose Comb cockerel for my girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by