The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

These are my Fogelly chicks, about 3 days old. Thanks Ron!

Four days old "MOHAWKS" from Chris H. the wife and I made a lil road trip to Covington LA after these. After seeing his mature birds I'm so jacked up to see what I end up with. Thanks Chris for your hospitality!!!

I have been getting request for Rose Comb large fowl and so here is a person who has some nice ones. In fact I am on his waiting list.

Go to the site that I have posted below look up his name and then contact him and tell him I sent you to him. He might be able to help you this spring if not he will have some nice adult birds this
fall to purchase.

Aaron Hickson

http://rirca.poultrysites.com/index.php/officers

While you are at it send him your dues for the 2013 year.

He is going to turn this club around and we need to support him.

Some one emailed me this picture and asked if this was one of my old birds.

I have not seen this picture in 20 years. For you who have the Mohawk line look for this size and shape of tail on our young males this coming year. He was my second year hatch male after I moved to the place I am at now. This was taken from a VCR video tape so the color looks washed out.

Last edited:
I have ordered RC chicks from Aaron, should be getting them in the next month or so. I just want to say that he is a very kind and helpful man. I e-mailed him some general questions regarding the line I was getting- so that I had baseline info to start with- and he called me and we chatted for quite a while. He patiently answered all my questions, and was very knowledgable, and friendly. I am excited beyond measure to be getting chicks from him- and feel like I will always be able to contact him down the road, if I have any more questions for him.

I'm still doing my homework on RIR and would love to see pictures of chickens from the various lines in one place for a side by side comparison. As I'm a visual person, it's much easier for me to note the often subtle differences between various lines that some of you can identify from a single photo. Does such a photo repository exist? And if so, where? I didn't see anything on the club website except a nice 2002 RC RIR winner from Mr. Underwood. Any of the member blogs/websites? I'm discounting this forum/thread because it is so big and it's hard to remember what pictures were on which page and posting number; and all that jumping around doesn't allow comparison that well.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Here are chicks from Dick Horstman...I have 9, They are so friendly :) I have one that loves to be held and tries to hop out of the brooder to get to me and will come running when he sees my hand enter the brooder. Sorry these aren't the best pictures, They are just a little bigger now and will post more as they grow for people to see. I find it very interested to see chicks and adults from carious lines/breeders at different ages.

Back
Top Bottom