The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Got a email asking me what I thought of the type of this R I Red bantam.

What do you think. Do you see the brick shape?

Jimmy went to your site great information on Reds there and nice pictures.

Should be a great source to help folks in the future. bob

Thanks Bob for the kind words.

I just took a few shots of my Underwood's. They were 20 weeks old last Saturday. Seems that this RC boy is going to have a pretty nice looking RC. I just love the color on these birds and the size of these pullets is super. These are the birds that I hatched from eggs from Jim Heinz. My chicks directly from Gary are just 7 weeks old.

This little bantam girl decided she wanted to be a momma so I let her set on her eggs but she only hatched out 1 little one Easter Sunday. lol Too Sweet.

Got a email asking me what I thought of the type of this R I Red bantam.

What do you think. Do you see the brick shape?

Jimmy went to your site great information on Reds there and nice pictures.

Should be a great source to help folks in the future. bob
I would be less than pleased with the top line of this bird. I also prefer the front to have a more vertical line from the head to the keel meeting the bottoms line at almost a 90 degrees.
Not brick shaped to me.

Ron

Thanks Bob for the kind words.

I just took a few shots of my Underwood's. They were 20 weeks old last Saturday. Seems that this RC boy is going to have a pretty nice looking RC. I just love the color on these birds and the size of these pullets is super. These are the birds that I hatched from eggs from Jim Heinz. My chicks directly from Gary are just 7 weeks old.

This little bantam girl decided she wanted to be a momma so I let her set on her eggs but she only hatched out 1 little one Easter Sunday. lol Too Sweet.

thumbsup.gif
As always Jim you can tell you do you chores good and fine(besides having good stock) and can take pictures pretty fair too, this is the main reason I post very few none of my pictures turn out to be what I thought I shot, LOL

Jeff

Last edited:
May I ask about Dick Horstman? I don't see his name really talked about here much and not sure if something I'm missing about his birds or they way he does things? I won't be offended and I'm not trying to imply I had anything negative with receiving my RIR hatching eggs from him, All hatched but 1 and then one died, so I felt that was pretty good. If many of these are roos then I plan to purchase eggs or chicks off from another breeder and see that Ron has some gorgeous birds and just wondering about dicks birds? Please PM me if you don't want to talk public, I won't be offended and I wont share information.

thumbsup.gif
As always Jim you can tell you do you chores good and fine(besides having good stock) and can take pictures pretty fair too, this is the main reason I post very few none of my pictures turn out to be what I thought I shot, LOL

Jeff
Hi Jeff,
First, thanks so much for your wonderful comment. And as far as the pictures go, these creatures can move pretty quickly. I'm just waiting for our weather to get straightened up up here so I can try to get some really good shots to put on my site. I'm hoping to get some pictures that really does show the beauty of these Underwood's. Most of my girls are looking pretty shabby right now because of the boys. Oh well, I guess we can't all stay beautiful all the time. ha,ha,ha.
Thanks buddy
Jim

May I ask about Dick Horstman? I don't see his name really talked about here much and not sure if something I'm missing about his birds or they way he does things? I won't be offended and I'm not trying to imply I had anything negative with receiving my RIR hatching eggs from him, All hatched but 1 and then one died, so I felt that was pretty good. If many of these are roos then I plan to purchase eggs or chicks off from another breeder and see that Ron has some gorgeous birds and just wondering about dicks birds? Please PM me if you don't want to talk public, I won't be offended and I wont share information.
Don't know if you got the RC or SC reds from Dick but I think he is more known for the RC's in the reds. I have one cock bird and 3 hens. I got them last Apr 4 from Dick. He doesn't live very far from me and I had ordered eggs and none hatched so I ordered chicks and he delivered them to me. He seems like a pretty nice gentleman. My birds from him are large. Would make very nice meat birds. I can't say for anyone else, I only give my experience. These hens started laying about 2 - 2 1/2 months ago and I only get maybe 2 eggs per week from the 3 hens. I will not be raising any of these reason being I got quite a few Underwood chicks and have both SC and RC in them so I will just stick with them.
This is just my personal experience with the Horstman RC's. Size, color, disposition etc all good. Layers, mine aren't doing very well in this department. I can't speak for anyone else.
Jim

I am looking for some Heritage Rhode Island Reds to raise. We have the common hatchery run, but would like the deep red. Where can I get a hold of some eggs or chicks ? Want someone fairly close - MD, NY, PA, , VA, Ohio, KY. Thanks for any help you have !!

Back
Top Bottom