The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by Robert Blosl, Oct 7, 2010.

1. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Here are chicks from the birds I got from Matt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  2. FOGELLY

FOGELLY Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2010
    Arkansas
    Nice!

Looking forward to seeing pictures of all these birds grown out. I have some pretty nice looking young birds that hatched in January.

3. Robert Blosl

Robert Blosl Rest in Peace -2013

Mar 1, 2010
    Silverhill, Alabama
    [​IMG]

This is a great picture for lurkers who come onto this thread when you see Rhode Island Red Chicks notice how dark their down color is.

Now when you go to the feed store and see their Rhode Island Reds they have you will never see any like these. They are lighter in color and they will have very little horn color in their beaks.

I wish you the best with your little chicks. I just hatched four this afternoon very healthy and dark as these. They are related to yours to a degree. They are bantams that came from your large fowl 20 years ago.

Thanks for the nice pictures. What a great learning experience for the new folks to see.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ry8ndkMN4os/TRf7F_lSqeI/AAAAAAAAAFc/Nnls2Do9dxo/S220-h/columbian+1.jpg

check this out.

4. wvdoubledfarms

wvdoubledfarms Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    WV
    I appreciate what you have posted. Jim
    We need to keep the egg size and production in are good type RIR and a nice looking bird to go with it.

5. michaelf

michaelf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2012
    Cochran,Ga.
    I am getting some show quality heritage single comb RIR hatching eggs in the next couple of days. I am excited! Been reading some of the post on this thread. I like it. I am sure I will plenty of question for you guys.

6. wvdoubledfarms

Jun 21, 2011
    WV
    What blood line you getting?

7. wvdoubledfarms

Jun 21, 2011
    WV
    I appreciate what you have posted.Old buddy

8. Mumsy

Mumsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Hah! Yep. I like taking pictures and putting them in dated folders for reference. At my age, easy to forget who came from where and what is it. So I do take the camera out to the barn a lot.

The hatch is finishing up. Twelve hatched out of fourteen and that is pretty good in my book for shipped eggs from as far away as these have travelled.

I am enjoying them already Jim. Never had such nice, red, thick, chicks as these before now.

9. wvdoubledfarms

Jun 21, 2011
    WV
    I appreciate what you have posted.Old buddy

10. Laingcroft

Laingcroft Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    I've kind of got my heart set on the rose comb, especially after seeing all the photos on this thread and reviewing the Blosl blog articles. Love that combination of rose comb on mahogany red bird. My other large SC roosters don't do so well in the wet cold we have here; though I provide good care, I don't provide heat to the coops in winter. I also prefer chickens (in breed or by selection) hardy enough to survive traditional accommodations and free range husbandry.

Already contacted Mr. Horstman and he's sold out this year. Sigh. I'll just have to be patient or find someone else who may have a dozen hatching eggs or chicks with NPIP-AI clean status (we're NPIP-AI clean too.)

Any recommendations? I do love the velvet brick look of correct type and color, but don't have sufficient knowledge to prefer one line over another. I suspect it will all come down to which line I can obtain here. Of course I'll have to 'fall in love' with that line as outcrossing is supposed to be a bad thing; but that shouldn't be too hard, right? [​IMG] In the meantime I'm enjoying the photos and doing more reading/research.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by