The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by Robert Blosl, Oct 7, 2010.

1. ChickMagnet207

ChickMagnet207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2012
    Maine
    I would stay away from feed containing ethoxyquin. I've heard way to many cancer stories...

2. Robert Blosl

Robert Blosl Rest in Peace -2013

Mar 1, 2010
    Silverhill, Alabama
    [​IMG]

Later in the year this is the red in the wing you like to see on these dark birds
    the black is important but for beginners type is your number one choice in selections.
    [​IMG]
    One of my males in my bantam pen one. New York- Mohawk bantam
    cross.
    [​IMG]

A female from Arizona I think Mohawk line notice her nice length of back flat
    when you look at her from above her back will be even and wide no taper..
    [​IMG]

Bobby Anderson Champion male just nice I think Don Nelson line
    [​IMG]

This is a nice male from Calif Nice tail and brick shape.
    [​IMG]
    This is the last colored painting by Schilling before he died. Notice how he got the beetle
    green in the tail. You will have that on these top strains. Notice the brick shape flat top lines. You bantam
    breeders to be find you a strain that has females with backs or top lines like this not like Plymouth Rocks.

I had to work 14 hours yesterday so could not post but for one minute.

Be patient with your little chicks eye color will be there on all these dark strains you have purchased. No strain that you have purchased are slouch strains. Some may be better than others
    but they are all good top strains Select for vigor, then type don't worry right now on super fast feathering or early development but keep your eye on the one or two that jump out from the hatch and mature early. They can be your best breeders for next year. All chicks will develop differently as they get accustom to your environment. Its funny some chicks may not do well in your yard but you could take them back to the owners yard and in five months look fantastic. I hope this helps some of you new beginners be patient and ask us for help.

I will post more bantam pictures latter. Got to do something this mourning and go back to work this evening. Keep posting and looking for rose comb large fowl chicks anyone have any or eggs just need five to ten. bob

3. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    I been trying to get a hold of Terry(mississippifarmboy) on here he has some RCRIR out of Rademachers stock he hasn't been on here since Feb. though don't know whats up with him but he is in Glen, miss. if anybody has his contact info could/would you PM it to me, thanks.

Jeff

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Check with some of the women and friends in his life. Wish I could remember all their screen ID's. Many are on BYC. EmTheFishLady being one.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  5. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    I found his email addy elsewhere sent him a letter maybe he will chime in/check in on here. Hey we gotta keep tabs on these here Reds now, they are too important to forget their whereabouts LOL

Jeff

6. Robert Blosl

Robert Blosl Rest in Peace -2013

Mar 1, 2010
    Silverhill, Alabama
    Terry got his rose combs from a youth who got some chicks from Radahaker a year or so ago. Is it possible this young jr. has some of these birds?

I would like to get some myself.

We have talked in the past how breeds of chickens have gone down hill and how judging is not as stick to the standard except a handful of judges I found a new breed of dogs yesterday that a guy brought by and talk about strict standards to even get these birds to be breeders.

They have a dog master that comes to check out the young dogs and see how they work. Then if they pass the standards by this guy he puts a tattle number I think in their ear and then this dog is considered worthy to carry on the name and the breed.

Very much like Bobby's German Shepherds that he breeds not just for looks but their working properties. If only we had this in our poultry breeds things would be so much better. That is breeding and judging by the standard better.http://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=utf-8&fr=slv8-tyc8&p=drahair dogs&type=

Also, I have mentioned when you type R I Reds into Bing you see very few good pictures of true to type birds. Look at the pictures of this breed on Bing.

7. melroseladi

melroseladi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Melrose, Florida
    I wanted to post some updated pics of my Underwood chicks. I love this line of Reds and am so happy to have them.

This is Tanker and a couple of my pullets hatched out from eggs from Mr Heinz. They are just turning 21 weeks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are some of the 18 chicks I got directly from Mr. Underwood. They are 9 weeks old now and doing great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Penny

8. immyjay54

immyjay54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Looking good Penny. They are very nice. Thanks for posting.
    Jim

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    He usually is on the Russian Orloff thread a bunch, but said he had some health problems back in the Fall, and stopped posting very often.

10. Laingcroft

Laingcroft Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    Sounds like the SV (Verein fur Deutsche Schaferhund) The breed club has regional wardens who inspect the dogs prior to breeding. The wardens have to demonstrate solid knowledge of the breed and the dogs must have earned working titles. Afterward a ranking and Ahnentafel are prepared for each dog. This is a detailed pedigree that describes the temperament & type of the dog upon inspection as well as the same information on their parents. Registration in the SV is also known as having pink papers. The puppies are tattooed before they go to their new owners.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by