The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Thank you all for the comments. He is a handsome guy in my eye. BUT I wasn't looking for perfection. I see things that I wish were better but I'm hoping to put him in with some of my really good girls this fall. I used his brother for this year early chicks. He had less and lower set tail. I have 31 eggs in the bator right now so I might end up with something far better then this guy. Who knows. Only time will tell.
Yes Penny, this is one of my Nelson boys and oh my is he a love bug. ha,ha,ha I don't know if we are supposed to describe the cock birds by that name. lol
Jim
Just a few of my own thoughts. First I want to say that the darker pictures are his real color. The ones that are more red is where the flash bleached out the dark mahogany.
Judging my own boy, I would like his tail to be less full and a little lower set, he does have a 5 point comb, I like the length of his wattles, I would like just a little more length to his back. Usually, he shows a pretty nice brick shape. His eye is a nice red/orange color, his beak is horn color, his legs are a nice yellow/orange with the horn down the front and on the toes. OH, the width of his back is very little if any wedge to it.
His tail in my opinion looks like some ladies hair when they get to much fresh perm. lol Oh my, maybe I shouldn't have said that with all the ladies on here. lol

Last edited:
I have seen this bird in person and the picture does really give him good justice.This is the widest and longest Rhode island red i have seen.I rasie RIR to and that Rooster is the tops i wouold love to have some chicks or eggs out of him Jim.

Many of us joke sometimes and some take it serious. Look at what I said about the Mohawk line being ok.

Heck my blood in me is red like Mohawk. Every time I see a Mohawk truck come down the road I think of Mohawk V.

Nice pictures of the Underwood reds. There are a few females that have excellent type and very nice tails showing up. Will be interesting to see what they look like when they are in the laying age.

Hope you get a message to Terry in Mississippi. I would like to talk to him about Heirloom Seeds. He has some in his family going back 75 years.

Planting my garden this Wed and Thursday using the Almanac as my guide. Got some seeds from a nice lady from North Carolina back last year. Will plant most of them will save 25% of the seeds she sent me just incase something goes wrong then will try to replace these seeds for the future years.

What are you planting??

I have my 3 gardens going. Strawberry patch has blooms on them. 225 bean plants breaking ground already. 9 tomato plants up and 5 cucumber plants. Plus 6 jalapeno, sweet banana, bells and paprika plants. Going to make my own paprika powder.
smile.png
Just need some raspberry plants to plant along side the 64x64ft area I'm building for all the new birds.

Comb excellent so if mated to a female with nice long level back legs dead center she should help keep the good head points and other good traits he has.

What would be fun to do with him is if you had a fence that is made out of two by four inches dog or no climb wire that is four feet tall put him near this pen and try to take a picture of him and get a pose where you can measure the height and the length of his body by the wire.

Ron had a picture like that with his great male.

Does he have enough length from the neck to the oil gland? is it four inches, five or seven?

Tail is very fully finished. This is a trait I have seen on the Nelson birds. . Maybe it could be thinned down by selection over the years. Could it be caused by to much width of feather? Maybe. His legs are dead center his back is level.

He just need to be out on the grass natural relaxing and you will be able to get a good picture. Years ago I use to take VCR videos with my birds. If I got 50 to 75 feet away and let them relax I got great poses then all I had to do is zoom in and get the good shot for type. If you had a old Nikon or Pentex with a zoom lens you could do the same. With the little digital cameras you got to get kind of to close for a good picture.

He is a great bird just write down the faults you wont to improve on and find the females that can compensate for his faults and his strengths to help their faults and you will be just fine. That's breeding.

Quote: I am planting many southern seeds in the beans, blue lake beans, silver Queen corn and some old type heirloom corn. I have about30 different seeds this is my first time planting one since I moved down here. Never had the time as working and working and working. Now I am retired and only work two to three days a week. This gives me some hours in the garden, in the shop turning pens and with the chickens. I like to fish so I got to try to go two times a week during the warm months. I have six black berry bushes I bought last fall to plant and they should do fine down here. When I lived in Washington we had Raspberries but its so hot down here I don't think they will make it. I will have plenty of veggies and then I will bring extras to work and let the girls I work with fight over the extras to take home.

Its a great hobby and the food is a money saver for us just like raising our own chickens. Its those trips to the chicken shows, motel rooms that eat up the profit. Is there really any money in chickens?

I am planting many southern seeds in the beans, blue lake beans, silver Queen corn and some old type heirloom corn. I have about30 different seeds this is my first time planting one since I moved down here. Never had the time as working and working and working. Now I am retired and only work two to three days a week. This gives me some hours in the garden, in the shop turning pens and with the chickens. I like to fish so I got to try to go two times a week during the warm months. I have six black berry bushes I bought last fall to plant and they should do fine down here. When I lived in Washington we had Raspberries but its so hot down here I don't think they will make it. I will have plenty of veggies and then I will bring extras to work and let the girls I work with fight over the extras to take home.

Its a great hobby and the food is a money saver for us just like raising our own chickens. Its those trips to the chicken shows, motel rooms that eat up the profit. Is there really any money in chickens?

Maybe maybe not. But chickens sure are addicting.Just coming close to breaking even would be good. LOL. When my wife wakes up shes going to kill me. Just bought a st. run of 6 golden laced wyandottes. They will look greak mixed in with the reds I got from Ron.
smile.png

I am planting many southern seeds in the beans, blue lake beans, silver Queen corn and some old type heirloom corn. I have about30 different seeds this is my first time planting one since I moved down here. Never had the time as working and working and working. Now I am retired and only work two to three days a week. This gives me some hours in the garden, in the shop turning pens and with the chickens. I like to fish so I got to try to go two times a week during the warm months. I have six black berry bushes I bought last fall to plant and they should do fine down here. When I lived in Washington we had Raspberries but its so hot down here I don't think they will make it. I will have plenty of veggies and then I will bring extras to work and let the girls I work with fight over the extras to take home.

To quote Phil Robertson:(DuckDynasty)
"No-- Na No No No! LOL

Jeff
thumbsup.gif

PS the way the IRS looks at it if after 3 yrs. it still hasn't shown a profit it is considered a HOBBY not a business so therefore you can no longer use the LOSS as a tax write off, LOL So I'd say nope no money in backyard chicken farming, well for me anyhow LOL Well yeah money spent, not returned.

Last edited:
no money in farming period, doesn't matter if its chickens, cows or vegetables. We do about 20 acres in vegetables an its really bad, not to mention paying yourself for all the hours (not ahappening) everything goes up except what u can charge. Chickens can't even claim them as they are always a loss, but fresh eggs are nice an we know where they came from (feed prices as always climbing all except cracked corn). Our hrir an geese are for our pleasure only as we really enjoy them, did as a kid an still do.

Since we have been in sevdre drought for a few years now I can't complain about the rain, the pond is up so will be good fishing (even if it's so high its in the yard), and the trees look good this year, but I want to finish my coop :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom