The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Many of us joke sometimes and some take it serious. Look at what I said about the Mohawk line being ok.

Heck my blood in me is red like Mohawk. Every time I see a Mohawk truck come down the road I think of Mohawk V.

Nice pictures of the Underwood reds. There are a few females that have excellent type and very nice tails showing up. Will be interesting to see what they look like when they are in the laying age.

Hope you get a message to Terry in Mississippi. I would like to talk to him about Heirloom Seeds. He has some in his family going back 75 years.

Planting my garden this Wed and Thursday using the Almanac as my guide. Got some seeds from a nice lady from North Carolina back last year. Will plant most of them will save 25% of the seeds she sent me just incase something goes wrong then will try to replace these seeds for the future years.

Thoughts on this guy. He was 1 year old Apr. 4th. He isn't standing perfectly but this is the best I could do for right now. He is not really as short necked as it looks. He has his neck sort of drawn down making his back look shorter then it really is also. I know he is far from perfection but I like him. Am I wrong? My suit of armor is on.
JIm

Thoughts on this guy. He was 1 year old Apr. 4th. He isn't standing perfectly but this is the best I could do for right now. He is not really as short necked as it looks. He has his neck sort of drawn down making his back look shorter then it really is also. I know he is far from perfection but I like him. Am I wrong? My suit of armor is on.
JIm

I'm still learning so take this with a grain of salt.

I can imagine him stretching his neck up a bit and when I do, it looks to me like his chest might be a little "short" sloped upward at a 45 degree angle instead of the rounded 90 degree "brick" angle, like your avatar. This picture also makes it look like the tail set is a little short...curving upward a fraction sooner than it should for a nice long back (imagining that the neck is extended). And I could be totally wrong on all of it, but that's just what I'm seeing.

Can't say a thing about color since my PC screen has gone all wonky and needs to be replaced. Right now he is a lovely shade of greenish magenta
roll.png

Thank ya. I will try to get a better shot of him because this picture he is sort of stumpy looking and he really isn't. lol It is just that I was out taking some pics of some of my other birds and thought I hadn't taken any shots of this guy for a long time. When he is more squared up, he is more brick shaped etc. The coloring doesn't bother me at all because he has good color. He is a big boy.
Jim

JIm

Even though he isn't posing perfectly, he is still handsome...

Even though he isn't posing perfectly, he is still handsome...
Thanks,
I just went and took some more shots. He is sooooo hard to get a picture of because he is so tame as soon as I squat down to take a picture he come over to me and wants petted. lol I have to toss a little pebble or something to get him to move away from me. Oh my. I will have to wait till I move him into his bigger pen. He normally has his tail down lower but when I get close to him he gets excited I guess. Just put an image of all the good points together. lol Oh my, I still like him. Now he is one that if anyone was wanting a pet would love this guy. He loves attention.

JIm

Only a few minor comments (nit-picking honestly, I'll be upfront that he's a gorgeous bird in my opinion) are his chest could be a little deeper in most these images, but I'm not sure when these guys stop filling out (or how pose effects it, the last picture in post #3407 his chest looks great but his back isn't flat in that one, then in the 3rd picture down of that post both his chest and top-line look great) . He's got a lot of tail which makes him very flashy but is probably a bit more than the standard asks for, which will serve him well as he ages I'd imagine. Very handsome bird. I think he'll show really well for you.

Edit: After viewing all the images again, I'll retract the chest thing, it actually looks pretty good. Will leave original post intact so first impression can be seen, but I think he looks really good.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom