The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by Robert Blosl, Oct 7, 2010.

1. desertmarcy

desertmarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Tucson
    Hi Bob, yes that female pictured above is my bird, from Matt, Mohawk line. I think she is one of the better ones I have, so I have her in a pen by herself so I can collect her eggs and mark them as hers. The other hens are in one big pen with the male. I had a lot of trouble with these hens picking the feathers on the backs of the other hens---I think they weren't getting enough protein in the 17% layer pellet since Matt wasn't having that problem and mine are brother-sister to his birds. I boosted up the protein and I don't see as much of that behavior, but I think some of them got in the habit. I put the male in the pen, he was in great show condition, perfect tail. Now it is all ratty looking from the hens picking it and his back feathers are too. I don't know what else I can do to stop that picking, I even put peepers on some of them and it made no difference.

Bob I saw your other post about your garden. If you really want raspberries, try the variety called Dormanred. I got some plants from Womack Nursery in Texas and they produced here in the desert heat! I even had enough one year to make pies. If they can take our heat, they will produce in Alabama. Said to be the only raspberry variety that can withstand southern heat.

2. SDHeritage

SDHeritage Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2012
    Are there any good heritage SC RIR breeders in South Dakota? I have been hatching chicks but I do not think they are dark enough as some of the pics I have seen in this thread.

3. lualshannon

lualshannon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2012
    Sonoma County, Ca.
    Marigold extract is easily found at Health Food, Herb, or vitamins stores. Also, dried leaves are available as well. I looked for chicken feed which contains marigold extract but, was not successful in doing so. Marigold is high in antioxidants, and Lutein, which is quite beneficial for us, as well as the chickens. I use the extract, and give it to the chickens once a week on a small piece of treat.

Beautiful, fat, and adorable babies, Ron!

4. Robert Blosl

Robert Blosl Rest in Peace -2013

Mar 1, 2010
    Silverhill, Alabama
    Thanks for the tip on Raspberries I will look into that.

In regards to R I Reds in South Dakota don't know of any major or new breeders You could contact Gary Underwood In Illinois and he could send you some. They will do well In your climate.

Sometimes you just have to get some from someone else to get stated. I told many of you they are very rare the good ones. Maybe someone can send you a personnel message with his phone number and email address. There is also Charlie Voda in Minn who has rose combs and Duane Urch in Minn who has good everyday reds. bob

5. bayocum

bayocum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2012
    Central California
    These are some of our Fogle chicks at 9 days:

[​IMG]

And then at 17 days....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks Ron!

6. NestingHillsSC

NestingHillsSC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2012
    Tennessee
    I have 10 of them. There getting big and really feathering out. I'll have to take some new pics of them at 5-6 weeks now?? I think. Have it written down. lol[​IMG]

7. FOGELLY

FOGELLY Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2010
    Arkansas
    Your welcome Brice!
    There are now three starter flocks from this line on the west coast. It will be good to be able to get some back from y'all in the future.

Ron

8. SallyinIndiana

SallyinIndiana Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2012
    Bargersville, Indiana
    lovely.
    I can hardly wait for mine to arrive.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  9. winniem13

winniem13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2012
    Eastern North Carolina
    when look ing at 7-8 week old heritage RIR, is it my imagination or can you start to see the sheen and shine on the hackles of the cockerels ? can this be one way to distinguish pullets from cockerels?

10. FOGELLY

FOGELLY Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2010
    Arkansas

By that age most of mine have enough comb to tell. Most pullets will get tails faster also.

Ron

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by