The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by Robert Blosl, Oct 7, 2010.

1. chicksnthestiks

chicksnthestiks Chirping

Dec 20, 2012
    Gold Country, CA
    Purina Flock Raiser has Marigold extract, on the label it says Tagetes extract that is the genus Marigolds are in.

2. FOGELLY

FOGELLY Songster

Oct 25, 2010
    Arkansas
    I may supplement with Marigold extract. Feeds like Flock Raiser have no animal proteins. It has been my experience that my birds do better on feeds with good amounts of animal protein.

Thanks for the input.

Ron

3. chicksnthestiks

chicksnthestiks Chirping

Dec 20, 2012
    Gold Country, CA
    I agree about the animal proteins, I just like to know what they are are and where they came from. I would love to try some of the non-GMO feeds but there are none close. I like to learn what people use and try different ones to find what works. Maybe plant some sacrificial Marigolds near the chickens.

4. FOGELLY

FOGELLY Songster

Oct 25, 2010
    Arkansas
    Yes, it is very challenging to find good feeds in this area. Most people around here are happy with laying pellets and scratch.
    We use marigolds in our gardens to repel bugs. We have a generous amount of seeds from several varieties. I will plant some extra for the birds.

Ron

5. ronott1

ronott1 A chicken will always remember the egg Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Wodland, CA
    My Coop

6. MagicChicken

MagicChicken Songster

Apr 8, 2012
    Tucson, AZ

7. Chris Herzog

Chris Herzog Songster

Oct 16, 2011
    Covington
    All cleaned up, washed and ready to show!!! We have a little show this weekend a bunch of us from our new club are going to down here in South Louisiana and I'm bringing this guy along for the ride! This pic is a little dark but it was getting late and I took it with my phone.

This was before he got his bath!

[​IMG]

Chris

8. ronott1

ronott1 A chicken will always remember the egg Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Wodland, CA
    My Coop
    Costco here has a kirkland cat food that has sweet potatoes, fishmeal and salmon meal. I give the chickens a coffee mug of it each day. They get the Freedom non GMO, non soy non corn(Natural not organic) along with the cat food works well with mine.

9. NestingHillsSC

NestingHillsSC Songster

Jan 6, 2012
    Tennessee
    Here are some updated pics of the Reds I got from Ron. In advance, sorry if there's too many. Just very proud of these.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wow, looking at my spreed sheet, can't believe there 2 months old already. So that makes one of them 10 weeks old. I have 1 older girl he sent. And Ron, she's doing fine!! [​IMG]

10. immyjay54

immyjay54 Songster

Feb 20, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Chris, he looks very nice.Looks like a big boy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by