The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Marigold extract is easily found at Health Food, Herb, or vitamins stores. Also, dried leaves are available as well. I looked for chicken feed which contains marigold extract but, was not successful in doing so. Marigold is high in antioxidants, and Lutein, which is quite beneficial for us, as well as the chickens. I use the extract, and give it to the chickens once a week on a small piece of treat.

Beautiful, fat, and adorable babies, Ron!
Purina Flock Raiser has Marigold extract, on the label it says Tagetes extract that is the genus Marigolds are in.

I may supplement with Marigold extract. Feeds like Flock Raiser have no animal proteins. It has been my experience that my birds do better on feeds with good amounts of animal protein.

Thanks for the input.

Ron

I may supplement with Marigold extract. Feeds like Flock Raiser have no animal proteins. It has been my experience that my birds do better on feeds with good amounts of animal protein.

Thanks for the input.

Ron
I agree about the animal proteins, I just like to know what they are are and where they came from. I would love to try some of the non-GMO feeds but there are none close. I like to learn what people use and try different ones to find what works. Maybe plant some sacrificial Marigolds near the chickens.

Yes, it is very challenging to find good feeds in this area. Most people around here are happy with laying pellets and scratch.
We use marigolds in our gardens to repel bugs. We have a generous amount of seeds from several varieties. I will plant some extra for the birds.

Ron

Quote:
Marigold extract gets confusing. Some of it is made from Calendula officianalis - aka "pot marigold" - which is a very different plant from the Tagetes genus marigolds. Calendula has a long history of nutritional/medicinal use and also would provide good yellow/orange color. The Tagetes genus marigolds are what we in the U.S. typically think of as marigolds. They also have a long history of use - including use as a yellow dye. I suspect either type would work for improving yellow color in egg yolks and chicken legs.

Growing your own and adding some of the petals to the feed might have the same effect as the extract. Calendula plants are fairly common in garden centers here. They are usually marketed as "Calendula." Tagetes genus plants are usually marketed as a "marigold."

Calendula plants don't have the strong odor that many of the Tagetes genus marigolds are known for. Which may be why the Calendulas were more popular for cooking. I've read that they were called "pot marigold" because people would add the petals to soups and stews for additional nutrition during long European winters. You wouldn't want to do that with a Tagetes genus marigold.

Sarah

All cleaned up, washed and ready to show!!! We have a little show this weekend a bunch of us from our new club are going to down here in South Louisiana and I'm bringing this guy along for the ride! This pic is a little dark but it was getting late and I took it with my phone.

This was before he got his bath!

Chris

Thanks for the input.

Ron

Costco here has a kirkland cat food that has sweet potatoes, fishmeal and salmon meal. I give the chickens a coffee mug of it each day. They get the Freedom non GMO, non soy non corn(Natural not organic) along with the cat food works well with mine.

Here are some updated pics of the Reds I got from Ron. In advance, sorry if there's too many. Just very proud of these.
big_smile.png

Wow, looking at my spreed sheet, can't believe there 2 months old already. So that makes one of them 10 weeks old. I have 1 older girl he sent. And Ron, she's doing fine!!
wink.png

All cleaned up, washed and ready to show!!! We have a little show this weekend a bunch of us from our new club are going to down here in South Louisiana and I'm bringing this guy along for the ride! This pic is a little dark but it was getting late and I took it with my phone.

This was before he got his bath!

Chris
Chris, he looks very nice.Looks like a big boy.

Back
Top Bottom