The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by Robert Blosl, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Robert Blosl

Robert Blosl Rest in Peace -2013

Mar 1, 2010
    Silverhill, Alabama
    Hi Chis has the show started and over or is it this weekend. What city is it in?

He looks very nice. Hope you have some chicks out of him.

Would love to have some rose combs with his type some day. bob
  2. Chris Herzog

Chris Herzog Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    Thanks Bob. The show is this weekend April 20th in Jennings La. It's the first show for this club but looks like it should be a good time. The start up club that I'm with, If everything goes as planned, will be hosting our first open show at LSU in Baton Rouge La on November 9th! More details to follow as we get it worked out.

This is one of the offspring hatched in Feb from my male in that pic.....

3. Mumsy

Mumsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Took some update pic's of my bantam RIR pullets this morning. I have been sharing these three pullets since they hatched December. They are sixteen weeks now. Still look like pullets. They are still sweet birds. The longer I have them, the more I like them.

The three were stepping out on a brisk morning. A bit poofed up. At four months old, my question is how much longer will it take for them to mature? It seems their tails are slow to fill in after the last chick molt. These are from Roslyn Pickens shipped eggs from Arkansas.

The Fogle shipped chicks are sure nice. I think they are about a month old. Maybe five weeks. Some of them have a nice block-y body. They are cold too and look kind of prickly.

Every day it is a joy to go out to the barn and watch these dark red chicks grow.

Thank you Ron. I really like them.
  4. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

They look very nice! Not much rock in the Bantams too. [​IMG]

FOGELLY Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2010

Those Bantams look nice. Don't have that Red Rock look.
    Your welcome, it has been a pleasure helping everyone this year and last year. Helped about 15 people get going.
    Shipping out the last chicks today.
    I am going to close the flock and concentrate on a few things with this line. I have noticed that some of my 12 week old chicks don't have as good of color as last year. The type is still there.Although it is early and they will change greatly over the next 6-8 months, I am not over joyed with the color on some these young birds.

Bob has been telling me from day one to breed for type, I have followed that without regard to color and still seen improvement with color.
    I have a pretty good understanding of what needs to be done to bring the color back, and if any of the veterans what to chime in I would appreciate it.

Time for me to be patient, watch them grow, and get them ready for the fall shows.
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  6. NestingHillsSC

NestingHillsSC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2012
    After reading on earlier posts here on how to tell roos, I went outside and took a close look. I think the short tail theory is spot on. At least with mine. From the looks of it out of 10 I have 2 roos for sure, slower feathering ,short tails and very thick legs already. The 3rd on is a ?.

Roo for sure!! [​IMG] The other 7 have a lot longer and fuller tails.
  7. BarnGirl2011

BarnGirl2011 New Egg

Jan 27, 2013
    Thank you so much, Bob, for starting this thread!! We have bought our first Heritage Rhode Island Red fertile eggs and will be putting them in the incubator this Friday night. Hoping for a good hatch and as soon as they make their debut I will post pics for anyone to judge and let me know of they are up to BQ
  8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    My Coop
    I think male too.
  9. NestingHillsSC

NestingHillsSC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2012
    I have another just like him. His thighs are getting big. First thing my wife noticed. She not a chicken person. lol This is how the tails of the others look.
  10. Wyandotte96

Wyandotte96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2012
    Can somebody post a rock type red bantam so I know what what to not want. I'm having a hard time choosing my culls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by