The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by Robert Blosl, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Robert Blosl

Robert Blosl Rest in Peace -2013

Mar 1, 2010
    Silverhill, Alabama
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was in a hurry so I put up a bunch of pictures up. Some of these pictures may be good birds but when photographed they might have been nervous and had their backs lifted.

What you like to see is the legs dead center, oblong in body type, that is they are about twice as long as they are wide. Their top lines should be level like a brick. Get you a brick some where around the yard. Put it up in your chicken house to look at. From the neck to the oil gland should be flat. If its puffed up or has a cushion this bird is showing the Cochin genes. Many put breeding pressure on nice wide wide wide feathers in Reds. The Standard calls for a medium width of feather. WHY? because the standard makers in the early days new what the make up of the Reds where and they had Asiatic blood in them. In bantams they crossed Cochin and Old English bantams into the large fowl to make a bantam. So you have pointed down wings from the old English and the cochins have a wide soft feather and they have cushions. You have to walk down the middle of the road when breeding red bantams. Each year you may have to move to the right or left to stay in harmony. Most people breed to extremes or faddisms and that is how they get into trouble or paint them selves into a corner.

You can spot them early as well as their back start pointing up word. I also call them High Hitler top lines. Remember in the movies when they would lift their arms and say High Hitler?

Well they did not point their arms level it was elevated 30 to 40 degrees. Also, watch your tail angles, many get carried away with the elevated lifts in the tail and over do it then you end up with a tail that Schilling Called Wisk Broom Tails. Hope this helps some most important issue is be patient don't kill a bird until you posted a picture for us to look at if you are not sure. Rookies sometime can make costly mistakes. In time we all learn.

Have a event to go to and got to run. Have a nice day.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  2. NestingHillsSC

NestingHillsSC Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2012
    Tennessee
    Sorry pic so blurry. Looking for comments on body type. around 2 1/2 months old.
    [​IMG]

3. NestingHillsSC

Jan 6, 2012
    Tennessee
    Here's a few more. But with the good camera.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. NestingHillsSC

Jan 6, 2012
    Tennessee
    The little roo!! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. immyjay54

immyjay54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Just a couple of shots of my chicks from Matt1616. As most on this thread knows that Matt took the Florida variety from Brian Simmons and the Illinois variety from Greg Chamness of this old line and crossed them. He has been working with them for a while now and doing very well with them. He has done very well in the show arena with his Cock bird. I am very happy to have gotten these chicks from Matt and will do my best to keep them up to where he has them. He and I were on the phone for over 3 hours talking about these birds before I got them. He really seems to know his stuff about this line. I really would trust his opinion on anything I wanted to ask him about this line.
    I don't know exactly how old these were when I got them, I'm saying a week. I could be off a day or so but it has been a week today since I got them so I'm saying they are two weeks old today.

[​IMG][​IMG]

6. immyjay54

Feb 20, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Color seems to be coming in quite nicely and I'd say yes that is your boy. lol I don't look for to much at this age other then like to see the rectangular shape to them. These look pretty nice.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  7. NestingHillsSC

Jan 6, 2012
    Tennessee
    Hard to get correct color with the camera in the bright sun. The girl in the top pic is actually much much darker. I notice everybody takes pics of there chickens in the shade or the barn. Now I know why. lol And so far I can safly say have 2 roos out of the 10. Maybe 3.

8. immyjay54

Feb 20, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    I overlooked that. I've gotten hundreds of pictures of my birds and I know exactly what you are saying. The flash during dusk or inside messes with the color also but I think most on here already know that. lol It really is hard to get the true color. I hatched 10 last year at one time and ended up with 3 boys and 7 girls. Nice mixture and it gives you something nice to work with. lol
    Jim

9. NestingHillsSC

Jan 6, 2012
    Tennessee
    That's what I'm saying. Told Ron when he shipped these, if I get 3 roos and 7 hens, that would be God send!! PERFECT!! [​IMG]

10. Robert Blosl

Robert Blosl Rest in Peace -2013

Mar 1, 2010
    Silverhill, Alabama
    I just changed the water on my Half and Half's that I hatched about the middle of February. I got four I think. They are dark in feather need to take a few pictures. I shared the parents with a junior when I went to the Newnan Show hope they got a bunch of nice birds. They are from Matt as well. bob

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by