The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

I have a RC RIR male in with some RC RIW females. This is what I got for chicks This is a male. This is a female.
Oh wow..they are both adorable of course, but that lil girl is stunning. .at least imo, n that's not worth much..lol..I wouldn't kick either one out of my brooder ;)

Quote:
Question for the experts:
Can you tell a rose comb from a single comb on day old RIR chicks, and how does that work genetically? I mean, if you bred two single combs can you still end up with rose comb, or is rose comb something you would breed specifically for? Here are two combs on day olds that I was comparing earlier

rose comb??

single comb on the middle picture? The last pic is the same chick as the first.
Here are a couple of pictures I just took. One of a day old Rose Comb RIR and the other a SC RIR. They didn't want to pose for their pictures.

Quote:
I am guilty too. I just hatched around 200 chicks and I take the chicks out as they hatch and put them in brooder boxes while they dry and take out the egg shells to give the chicks more room. Since I do spill out quite a bit of humidity while doing this, I do mist the remaining unhatched eggs with warm water and the humidity is almost back up instantly so I don't have problems with the zipping chicks drying out and getting stuck. I'm an old fart and what do I know.
old.gif

Quote: Here are a couple of pictures I just took. One of a day old Rose Comb RIR and the other a SC RIR. They didn't want to pose for their pictures.
Yep! They look just like mine! I have 3 RC and 10 SC RIRs. I love them all. One of the chicks is much lighter than the rest and he/she looks like the tips of the wings (as much wing as he/she might have for being 3 days old) are almost white. I wish I knew what the parents were like. Does that even matter at this you g age?

These are the parent stock for my RC RIRs. They are under a year old. Not the best pictures. Here is the parent stock of the SC RIR chick. The hens are 2 years old and my boy is about 9 months here.
Beautiful birds!! I can't wait to see what mine grow into. I really hope I get some dark ones.

For the RIR eggs that I had in the incubator, I have 10 that made it, waiting on 2 and only lost 6. I've held off and candling the other sets of eggs til I'm sure about the final eggs that have pipped.
Came home from church and checked eggs in the incubator. I had 24 in there, 7 were clear and the other 17 went into lock down. 16 looked real good and 1 is a little iffy. lol Will be posting in a few days about how the hatch goes. I'm really surprised that I had this many fertile eggs in this group. I only had the cock bird in with the hens for a few days before I started saving them to set. This cock bird had never been in with any hens before but it appears that he has done pretty good. lol I hatched him last year and had him in a pen by himself until just a few weeks ago.
I have a broody setting right now that is due to hatch next Sunday (5/24). I put 12 eggs under her and have never caught her off the nest so I don't really know if all the eggs are still there or not. lol Fingers crossed that she will do well.

Jimmy

These are the parent stock for my RC RIRs. They are under a year old. Not the best pictures.

Here is the parent stock of the SC RIR chick. The hens are 2 years old and my boy is about 9 months here.

The SC bird in the bottom picture has good width of back. Very important when breeding RIR's.

Matt

Back
Top Bottom