The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

got my new rir's
thumbsup.gif

Nice looking birds.

The guy had adult birds in the show. Get an exhibitors list and contact him. I wrote down the breeders showing RIRs on my list. Now if I could only find it I'd give you the names. I was also told that they were from the Bates line in Ohio, but I didn't know who that was.

The guy had adult birds in the show. Get an exhibitors list and contact him. I wrote down the breeders showing RIRs on my list. Now if I could only find it I'd give you the names. I was also told that they were from the Bates line in Ohio, but I didn't know who that was.

Thank you for the info and the help. Please let me know if you find the list. It would be greatly appreciated. I think I talked to the guy she got them from but I was debating on getting some. When I talked to him I think he mentioned the Bates line but I also did not know of that line. She went to get her Silkie chicks and came back with a few extra RIRs from this guy. I would have gotten more info if I had been with her at the time.

Please read my reply to those who provided the critiquing I asked for several pages back.

"he is my first bird and without good honest critics / judges I will not have the ability to better understand what is required to produce the quaility birds I want to. It is the same reason that I'm entering birds in shows, to learn. And yes I've read the standard, but without practical experience it doesn't help much. So, again thank you all. I have 25 chicks of another line of birds from Greg Chamness coming and will keep both lines until I decide on which I like better."

ReplyQuote Multi

These men may have saved me several years of experimenting with this strain. NY Reds wasn't criticizing me personally he was criticizing a bird.
Please, let's continue to talk about the birds we all love on this thread. The pictures and their critics are so very helpful to me to understand what the "Standard" is actually talking about.

Please read my reply to those who provided the critiquing I asked for several pages back.

"he is my first bird and without good honest critics / judges I will not have the ability to better understand what is required to produce the quaility birds I want to. It is the same reason that I'm entering birds in shows, to learn. And yes I've read the standard, but without practical experience it doesn't help much. So, again thank you all. I have 25 chicks of another line of birds from Greg Chamness coming and will keep both lines until I decide on which I like better."

ReplyQuote Multi

These men may have saved me several years of experimenting with this strain. NY Reds wasn't criticizing me personally he was criticizing a bird.
Please, let's continue to talk about the birds we all love on this thread. The pictures and their critics are so very helpful to me to understand what the "Standard" is actually talking about.

Thanks. Glad you understood there was nothing personal about my comment. Why would there have been since I don't even know who you are?

When people ask for an evaluation of a bird's show potential I tell them how I would see that bird if it were in a cage in front of me because I assume that's what they're looking for.. Often in those same threads I see responses like "I don't know anything about it but I think he's beautiful 'or I think he's cute". How does that help the person asking for feedback? It doesn't.

Last edited:
Guys,
I just want to give you all a big thumbs up for all of your comments in the last few days on this thread. No matter if I agree or disagree with any of you, you were all very professional with your comments towards each other and that I do appreciate.

I recently left a hobby that I was a big part of for the last 37 or so years because I could not stand the way people talked towards each other. Absolutely no respect towards one another and continuously going down hill every day I went to the Forums. At least that’s what it was looking like from my vantage point anyway. Because of how you all handled this semi heated discussion, I am more pumped then ever to stick with and learn more about this new hobby of mine. So thank you all for that!!!!

Sincerely,
Chris H

The little Red Bantam is a true Red Bantam, she has good feather quality, dark and even in color. She is standing high when you took the picture but she is a little short in length of body.

Notice her back top line is it flat as a pancake or does it have a rise in the top line like Plymouth Rock.???

If she does don't worry about it I am sure she is a nice docile bird she is a pretty little thing.....

Many of to days Rhode Island Red Bantams have no length of back to make the brick shape. They have a cushion on their backs and this started about 25 years ago from a breeder in North Carolina. When he died his blood line was spread all over the country even the west cost. Today the judges love this kind of type.

Hope we don't see it in our large fowl.

I will tell you a story it was 25 years ago this April I and my wife left Knoxville Tenn and went to Thompson Georgia to see the show their and meet Mr.E W Reese. Latter after a Dist 3 meeting at a local eat shop Mr. Reese asked me would you like to go and see my farm. Of course so we got in his 40 year old pick up and headed down the road. I said I see you got a Rhode Island Red Bantam from George. Ya its time to try to cross some new blood into my red bantams. He got 25 chicks from me ten years ago. About two years latter I was on the phone asking Mr. Reese some questions about his large fowl Mohawk reds and asked him how did the Cross turn out with Georges bantam red rooster. NOT TO GOOD he said. Half the chicks had backs on them like a Plymouth rock. The looked like RED ROCKS he said. I took all of them and the rooster and gave them to a man who helps me on the farm. Dont want any more of them RED ROCKS he said.

This is the beginning of the term RED ROCK bantams. We have been haunted by this fault ever since. They have great feather quality and color but are culls.

Wish the judges would not push them onto champion row like they do. If you win with birds like this then the breeders will breed from them. That's why George breed a female with a elevated top line and in two years half his birds had this fault.

So here is a Little history on Rhode Island Red Bantams and why you should breed by the Standard and not buy what a judge picks at a show. Look at the darn picture one old man told me as Boy.

Breed and select by that black and white picture. I have that picture of the hen and maleRhode Island Red from my 1964 standard stapled to my chicken house wall and look at it ever day when I turn on my water faucet. The same picture he showed me in my black and white standard in 1964.

Do you look at your black and white pictures of your Standard done by Schilling in 1964?? Can you who wants to be a Rhode Island Red Breeder some day learn from my history posts????

here is a picture of a pullet from three years ago she is a hen maited in pen one with New York Reds Champion Cockerel.

Notice her flat top line. It took three years of inbreeding back to her father to get this flat top line. Here father is below my name in the upper left hand corner of this thread. He is five years old and I call him black spurs.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/katz0556/383873391.jpg

My home computer is in the shop no emails to you who have written me for one more week.

bob

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom