The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard o' started by Robert Blosl, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Robert Blosl

Robert Blosl Rest in Peace -2013

Mar 1, 2010
    Silverhill, Alabama
    The second picture makes me feel better as when he left here he was level and had a flat back. He was not one I was keeping but he still has good color and feather.When you get those ten started Red Chicks from me you should have some females that are flat on the top line and will make a good mate to this male. I may also have a few of New York Reds male cross in pen one to send you. I got a egg today from his mate and just put her egg plus five other in the incubator. This should be a interesting cross as the blood will be three fours mine and one fourth New York Reds. Let me see if I have a picture of his older brother. I will post it below if I can find it on my photobucket account. I nick named his mating the JUDGE. A judge saw him last year at a show and said it was the best typed male he has seen from my shrunk down Mohawk large fowl from 25 years ago. He is a little big but was hatched in Feb and this will make my bantams down here a little larger about six oz. Thanks for the post on the pictures. I dont know what else to do with your rose comb females but mate them to say a male chick you get from me. Then take the best rose comb chicks with rose combs and start a family line. What I would love to do or see is inbreed a rose comb pullet or two back to a good single comb bantam male and each year pick the best two pullets for type and then in breed again for another year. Then when you get a bunch of little Mohawk rose combs running around start a good line breeding program to improve their combs to be good rose combs and maybe in five years ago.u would have a good strain of new improved shrunk down rose comb large fowl with good rose combs. Never been done be for but its worth trying . I want you to look at your bantam rose comb females What do you see in the top line.??? Flat backs like a brick or elevated backs like a Plymouth rock bantams.??? I will let you make the call. When you pick your females try to pick them with level backs. If you dont you wont have a red bantam.. bob

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/katz0556/106_0314.jpg

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  2. Robert Blosl

Mar 1, 2010
    Silverhill, Alabama
  3. Robert Blosl

Mar 1, 2010
    Silverhill, Alabama
    How many people on this site have Heartage R I Reds now? Hopefully next year we will double the numbers so others can get stock eggs or chicks. bob

4. FlashPointFarm

FlashPointFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    Iowa
    I have RC and SC Reds in LF from Gary Underwood.

5. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    I have Mowhak line of RIR single comb. They are laying real good right now with excellent fertiltiy, waiting for my first hatch in about 10 days. Hope to keep about 24 females this year and then cull next spring. They are looking good.

Right now I have 12 females.

6. FOGELLY

FOGELLY Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2010
    Arkansas
    Quote:

Bob, I have LF SC from Ricky Bates. Breeding pen going right now. I am alternating 2 roosters over 3 of my best hens. 2 weeks on 1 week off. So far I have hatched 27 chicks and have another 17 eggs in lockdown and 18 more in another bator. My chicks from last weekends hatch were my darkest chicks yet. This was my first hatch from this cockerel on these hens. I have more coming from this mating this weekend. So I should be able to help get a few people started next spring. Also Bob, I selected my pullets for breeding by type, choosing 3 out of the 8 I had. When I choose them all 8 were in the same pen so I did not know who was laying. This might just be dumb luck but they ended up being the most productive. They give me 3 eggs for two days then 2 eggs then back to 3. The remaining 5 are averaging 2 eggs a day. Ron

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  7. Robert Blosl

Mar 1, 2010
    Silverhill, Alabama
    Ron doesn't make sense to breed from females that lay like that rather than have a female that lays now and then. Regardless how great their type is they will pass this trait on to their future off spring. Keep it up and if these birds have my old Mow hawk gene in them it will resurface again. Remember look for the brick in every bird you choose. One day they will look like peas in a pod.

Keep posting this way others can send you private messages and you might be able to help them if you have enough females for them and your self. Also, we are planing for next year. I think there will be a demand for up to 300 chicks for beginners. Thank you for posting. Paul your numbers are getting up. Bob

8. sgribble

sgribble Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Chatsworth,GA
    I have the Standard Mohawk line.They are just chicks but hopefully this time next year I will have a good start!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  9. ajlynco

ajlynco Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Reno, NV.
    I'm just getting started w/chickens. I have 6 Black sex-links and 5 CA Whites now (all 2 wks old) but I want to start raising heritage RIRs next year after I move to some acreage. I'll be in the market for some info, advice, and chicks. I've been reading this thread since it's inception and look forward to dealing with you breeders.Thanks and keep up the good fight!

10. FOGELLY

FOGELLY Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2010
    Arkansas
    Double post

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by