The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Naturally, I agree. However, a great deal of the world considers Production Reds and hatchery Rhode Island Reds (which, I actually call production Reds too) to be heritage Reds. Therefore, the only way to truly be safe from getting screwed over from the liars, uneducated, or those many good natured folk whom simply use other terminology, is to take the term Heritage lightly… and I mean very lightly.

Anyway, I would wait to see how your chicks grow. I do not see anything alarming in them, and wouldn’t judge them so quickly. They do not look exactly like my chicks (I have Mohawks), but variation in down color does exist within the different bloodlines.
All but one has blond wing feathers. The one has red.

this is very helpful
..these are my chicks

I am still looking for a few in SW Missouri. If I can't find young ones does anyone have hatching eggs I could use in the New Years hatch?

The biggest problem I can see is that even though you get some eggs a lot of them might not be fertile. I used to hatch year around but had much poorer hatches due to low fertility. I have my best fertility in the spring. Hopefully there are people who have better luck than I have had.

As Steven said...the 2015 Rhode Island Red Club National is a being held at the show in Knoxville, Tennnesse on December 5th.  We will also have our yearly National meeting at this show.  All Rhode Island Red Club members are welcome to attend the meeting at the show.

If you are not a member of the Rhode Island Red Club I encourage you to join.  We have some exciting new things that are going to happen in the near future and it also gives you an opportunity to support the most recognized breed of chicken in the world.

Matt

I live in Knoxville TN and wasn't even aware there was a RIR show! I'd love to go, does anyone have anything for sale at the show? I've only got a trio and don't expect any eggs till spring. I'm in the market for more since I'm ordering another coop during black Friday sales.
Pm me if you're going to the show and will have stuff for sale.
Thanks!!

I got mine from a local guy who has raised them for years. They are not light, but they are not mahogany. Are they worth working from, or should I just get eggs from a good source? Here is a shot of one.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom