The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

I took these pictures with my cell phone in a big hurry. I came into the building to give Matt some Colombian Plymouth Rock eggs I found on the hood of my car to put in his incubator when he got home. There is the big Red Male sitting on Champion Row by the door next to the Light Brahmas female. Both where scared to death as there was at least 100 people waiting to see who was going to win the big wooden incubator for the drawing. I asked a man to lean to the right for one second and grabbed this shot. I think I got some of him in the large fowl tent on my camera and will look latter. Notice the width on another males back where the width goes even to the end of his back. I once thought a ideal male should be 7 inches wide but looking at these males I have changed my mind to 8 inches for a ten month old ckl. So if you got a two by eight laying it around the house cut it seven inches long paint it dark red lay it on top of your males back and ask yourself do I have a match.?? If not work on selecting males and females that have this even width of back. A good judge may cut you one point for this and then win you loose to a better bird he may tell you look at his back and tail from above it tapers.

That is about it for me on this show and it could not be better for me as one of my old Rhode Island Reds that I shiped to Illinois to Greg Chamness then Matt got his start two years ago came back home to the south and won real BIG at the Newnan Show. If you ever read my article on the history of the Mohawk large fowl on my web site I said I walked into a breeding pen and looked at this male and told Mr. Reese this is the best Rhode Island Red Cockerel I ever seen and he said Bob that's a six year old cock bird look at his spurs. This male is a dead ringer to that male 20 years ago. Big, long wide in back and a great all around show bird which he proved this weekend even though he has been in a breeding pen for three weeks.

There where some great Red females there as well. So glad we have two or three new breeders of R I Reds that can produce great show birds and win at big popular shows as we had at this show.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the info and the picture Bob nice big boy too esp being in action in the breeder pen instead of a "conditioning coop king"( we used to call the trailed race cars "trailer queens" instead of being driven to the race strip/track)

I just read elsewhere too the Matt was in there swinging over the fences with some of the best too at this show. They we're some recent east coast winning Reds there I'm sure this made for a great competition too and sounded like a fun time was had by all.

congrats once again Matt, one of these days when I grow up I'm gonna get me some of those reds and come and play too. LOL

Jeff

Wanted to share some pics of the Fogle Line (formally Ricky Bates line) Heritage RIRs. I had to put them in a smaller run and close the coop door so I did not have to run with the camera. They are camera shy LOL. I decided to take a two small videos. Thought it would give you all a better look. These are just a few I have but these are the ones I will be taking to the state fair. These are 12-13 months old and hatch by Ron Fogle. (FOGELLY).
Ron and I love this line of RIRs and it has been much fun raising them.

wee.gif

Pauletta, they look to be in very good condition! You have been doing a good job caring for them. Sorry I haven't been by in a while, you live to close for me to have a good excuse.
Your rooster is looking good, I need to look back and see which mating he came from. Over all he looks very nice.
Nice tails on the hens, little cushion on the back of one of them. We need to work on that.

Thanks for posting the video, it is much better than pictures.

Keep up the good work.
Ron

Last edited:

Very nice trio and should be the hall mark video to show a nubby beginner when they ask what is the difference in my Rhode island reds than yours or when they write you some day and ask you why is my rooster so mean and attacks my children. You can send them this video and say do your Rhode island reds look like these two? They will say no.
I do want you all to watch this video again at the 50 second mark when this male bends down to the ground. LOOK at his width of back its perfectly wide to the end of his back. This is what I was trying to get across to you all with the male I took a picture of this weekend. It would be nice to see more U tube videos I think the hard part is for us to learn to send them up to U tube. Taking them is no problem.
I was in Best Buy today and saw a Sony Digital Recorder-Projector. Less than $300. Can you believe you can take a video of something then project it onto a wall up to a 100x100 inch screen or Sheet. What is this world coming to. I remember when my dad use to take 8 mm old movies and had to go into the closet to reverse the film back wards to get a five minute 50 foot reel to show us silent movies in the 1950s and 60s. Its just amassing what they have come up with. I do have a Sony Video Recorder and plan to send it to other folks homes for a Rhode Island Red Tour like we did ten years ago. Then put all four thirty minute tours on one DVD and reproduce them. It could be Rhode Island Red Tour 2013. The ones we made back then really helped the beginners and you got so many great ideas from them. Thanks for a great video you got some excellent reds there.

Last edited:
Wanted to share some pics of the Fogle Line (formally Ricky Bates line) Heritage RIRs. I had to put them in a smaller run and close the coop door so I did not have to run with the camera. They are camera shy LOL. I decided to take a two small videos. Thought it would give you all a better look. These are just a few I have but these are the ones I will be taking to the state fair. These are 12-13 months old and hatch by Ron Fogle. (FOGELLY).
Thank you for the video..it was a pleasure to view.

Oh such a beautiful trio of birds, and there they are just acting like chickens, they don't even know they are fabulous!
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom