The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

I went to the Inverness, Florida show Saturday and got RB and RV for one of my pullets. My other birds did well and I got a BV on another pullet. I just changed the breeding pens as we just built 2 new pens. Can't wait to put some eggs in the incubator from my show gals. Each breeding seems to get better and better. I love all of the good advice and information I have learned from this thread.

I went to the Inverness, Florida show Saturday and got RB and RV for one of my pullets. My other birds did well and I got a BV on another pullet. I just changed the breeding pens as we just built 2 new pens. Can't wait to put some eggs in the incubator from my show gals. Each breeding seems to get better and better. I love all of the good advice and information I have learned from this thread.

Nice!

Congratulations!

Good job!

Those Reds are not on my top ten list of Red Breeders. I dont know of anyone who sells good Standard Breed Reds other than Urch Hatchery which he has had them for over 30 years.

You can com pair the color allot to our pictures to see if they are dark or medium dark. They could have ordered ten chicks from a good breeder and have them in a breeding pen and I am wrong but if I see the pictures I can tell you if they are true or not. One Hatchery has some that are half and half. That is a good male with some cherry egger females. We have had people jump up and down on this tread years ago telling us these are the correct Reds or they where Rhode Island Reds but they where not.

He about drove us crazy with is expert advise.

Its a start and you get good experience with them you can keep them or find you some that are the real McCoys latter. It depends on what your goals are. The sad thing is using the name Rhode Island Red eggs for sale and then your customer ends up with Cherry Egger looking birds. It would be like me using my half beagle and half German Shepard male dog on a Re sistered German Shepard female and selling the puppies as pure breed German Shepard Dogs. There is a difference but in chickens only 1% care and the other 99% are happy with what they get from the feed stores. It wont be long and the feed stores will have these chicks for sale. Spring is around the corner.

Congrats..we need pictures!!

Congratulations on your win.

I forgot the show was going on.

In regards to getting started most of us started out with suppose to be true to breed birds. I was fooled as a kid got hatchery light Brahmas worked ten days to buy 7 chickens and where all grade level. That made me mad and then I got into Rhode Island Reds instead. I guess it was a good thing. I know have Buff Brahma Bantams so I am learning how to breed them.

Nothing wrong with up grading. I had a fellow who wrote me wanting a new male as he lost his. He has three different strains of Reds mixed into his flock. He gets allot of white feathers. He is getting more culls this way, cost more to feed to get a few birds. This is why you want to get one strain and stick with it. The master breeder be for you has done all the work of cleaning out the defects. Should be a good year for large fowl Reds. So many people want them.

The three bantam RIR chicks that hatched December 12, 2012 got a new evaluation today. I still think they are pullets but I've got no other to compare them to.

I do wish for critiques at this stage. They sure didn't want to pose for me but I took the best shots I could as quickly as I could before they tried to get away. Hah!

Chick # 1 with green band . The low wings concern me.

Tail is more pinched than the other two.

Chick #2 with blue band seems more put together. Slight cushion.

Maybe needs more brick shape.

I like the tent going on in the tail and the spacing and balance of the legs.

Chick #3 with yellow band is my favorite because of temperment. Very gentle and calm. Beautiful color. Maybe a slight cushion.

Ok tail. Seems kind of narrow in the body to me.

I would really enjoy some candid commentary on these three chicks. I'm going to concentrate on raising Fogle line HRIR LF and plan on selling these if they are all females.

Last edited:
Look like pullets to me too. They look really sweet! I should take picks of mine as well. It it nice enough out to try today anyway. Mine are so calm. Yours look calm too.

Look like pullets to me too. They look really sweet! I should take picks of mine as well. It it nice enough out to try today anyway. Mine are so calm. Yours look calm too.
I've never once seen these three chicks chest bump from hatch. They are the sweetest and gentlest birds I've ever hatched to date. They come up to me and if I lower my hand they climb on for a 'hello'. I did not train them to do that. It is a joy to raise them. Without a male, I can't do anything with them. No one has bantam RIR single comb any where close to where I live that I know of.

Back
Top Bottom