The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

It is very hard to critique birds at this age. Until you raise a few generations of a particular line and learn their different nuances, I would not make decisions with this age of bird. They will change several times before they are mature.
Things like cushions and wing sets won't be obvious at twelve weeks. Both of yalls chicks look pretty good to me.
Mumsy, that first pullet does look a little closed in the tail, this probably wont change with age. Nice open tail on the other bird.
Keep pictures or make mental notes and compare them when they are mature and you will start to see traits that transfer to the adult bird. The more you raise the more you will be able to picture how certain birds will look as adults.

Rule #1 in breeding Heritage RIR (or anything)
Patience:)

Ron Fogle
Oh yes it does.

I had posted a while back ago on here or the other heritage thread about selecting male(RIRs or others) and to select the earliest maturing ones so on a and so forth which I mostly was just repeating what I had heard too(hearsay). Ron had posted then, that he had noticed some of these RIR males weren't ready to be selected at such early ages and 'he was right' I kept 2 males that were sub-par or not quite as good or mature as their siblings, anyway at a year old they are a lot better than I assumed they were ever going to be they still aren't as good as the ones I had picked but they still changed drastically in this time. So you just can't rush these H type birds you may miss out on a good one if you do. They definitely are not for quick turn arounds or fast money for sure.

Jeff

Last edited:
I bought them from here on BYC sold as Heritage RIR not that it means anything, LOL. Thanks for the feedback, so nothing notable to keep?

Also though these were taken outside, a flash was still used with the overcast.
I have some of those too they make for good layers, and look somewhat better than factory Pro reds but they look like the ones that luckypickens is advertising to be heritage reds they are production reds with heritage blood crossed in them I think from cowboygourmet(roy autrey birds) they still aren't a heritage breed.

Jeff

The three bantam RIR chicks that hatched December 12, 2012 got a new evaluation today. I still think they are pullets but I've got no other to compare them to.

I do wish for critiques at this stage. They sure didn't want to pose for me but I took the best shots I could as quickly as I could before they tried to get away. Hah!

Chick # 1 with green band . The low wings concern me.

Tail is more pinched than the other two.

Chick #2 with blue band seems more put together. Slight cushion.

Maybe needs more brick shape.

I like the tent going on in the tail and the spacing and balance of the legs.

Chick #3 with yellow band is my favorite because of temperment. Very gentle and calm. Beautiful color. Maybe a slight cushion.

Ok tail. Seems kind of narrow in the body to me.

I would really enjoy some candid commentary on these three chicks. I'm going to concentrate on raising Fogle line HRIR LF and plan on selling these if they are all females.

Like folks say its hard to tell at this young age , however look at the beak color dark horn that is a good thing. Look at number three picture and the leg placement dead center or PLUMB When this bird is full grown she will walk around level and not tilted up or rainy day. Also, you can see the brick shape of her body, good length of body and I think she will grow up very nice. I have a pullet in my pen one breeding pen I saw today as I was pulling her egg out that looks very much in length like her with a bonus she has a nice lift in her tail like the standard calls for. They look excellent to me and should be good looking when they grow up.

I dont think you will be disappointed in them. At least at this time frame you dont have Red Rocks like so many have today in Red Bantams. bob

I culled my Ryan birds down to 4 pullets and a cockerel. The cockerel attacked me last week and left a hole in my calf. He went immediately to freezer camp. The pullets are now free ranging with my laying flock.

Penny

Thank you. It's hard to have just three chicks to watch and have no other bantam RIR birds to look at for comparison.

That blue banded pullet in the third picture was one I wrote down in the note book as the only one of the three chicks that was fast feathering right from the get go. It is fascinating to me that this pullet is developing better so far in type than the other two.

I will hang onto these pullets and look into finding a suitable cockerel.

Thank you again to you and Ron for commenting. It does help me keep focused and not get discouraged to soon.

I culled my Ryan birds down to 4 pullets and a cockerel. The cockerel attacked me last week and left a hole in my calf. He went immediately to freezer camp. The pullets are now free ranging with my laying flock.

Penny
Ryan birds?

I can't imagine any of these birds I have here ever attacking me..they are so layed back..Of course all the birds I have had..I usually nip that in the bud pretty early.

I don't tolerate human aggressive behavior from my birds, especially an attack from behind. I booted him across the pen and he came back two more times. Third time into an isolation cage he went and to freezer camp the following morning. I had a mutt rooster a couple of months ago that started acting aggressive but he never did an actual attack but I culled him as well.

I can not wait for my Underwood cockerels to get old enough and big enough to take over rooster duties around here. My last hatch did not go well at all, which I was expecting due to PO handling of packages but I did get a RC to hatch out and coloring is making me think it may be a pullet. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I will have a RC hen to put with Tanker.

As it stands now I have 25 Underwood chicks from 14 weeks to 1 day old. I think that will give me a very good start.

Penny

Normally when you have have a aggressive rooster you can ask the person who writes you where did you get the chicks from they will tell you FEED store. I dont think in 20 years I have had one person tell me their Rhode Island Reds ever attached them or their children. But dozens of people have wrote me who have with production reds. This famous Ryan strain which I have never heard of seems to be into this category.

Normally when you have have a aggressive rooster you can ask the person who writes you where did you get the chicks from they will tell you FEED store. I dont think in 20 years I have had one person tell me their Rhode Island Reds ever attached them or their children. But dozens of people have wrote me who have with production reds. This famous Ryan strain which I have never heard of seems to be into this category.
I agree Bob, I can't remember ever having a man aggressive R.I. Red and I have had them for 10 years +/-.
As far as that go's I have never had a man aggressive Game Fowl breed either.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom