The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Robert that was one of the things I noticed when I was researching HRIR, young, small children handling these big, brawny HRIR at shows. Taking them in and out of cages, holding them, touching them and no aggressive behavior from the Roosters. I am looking forward to raising up these HRIR. I should have plenty of cockerels and pullets to make good selections towards breeding them next year.

Penny

Robert that was one of the things I noticed when I was researching HRIR, young, small children handling these big, brawny HRIR at shows. Taking them in and out of cages, holding them, touching them and no aggressive behavior from the Roosters. I am looking forward to raising up these HRIR. I should have plenty of cockerels and pullets to make good selections towards breeding them next year.

Penny
Penny,

It sure sounds like you have a good amount to select from..did you order your second one from the same source?

I like the hard feathering that is coming in on the tents of these birds..it is looking really good. They sure have wonderful personalities.

Last edited:
delisha, Yes I ordered eggs from Mr Heinz BUT the PO wreaked havoc on them, putting a hole in the side of the outside box and taking longer to deliver due to the package being stuck due to bad weather. I held out little hope for any of them hatching even though they were packaged extremely well. After 7 days I had 1 egg from the RC pen developing and 1 blood ring. Nothing on any of the others. I just kept my fingers crossed that the RC would make it to hatch and that it would be a RC, and it was, which really makes me happy.

I was able to get 25 SC chicks from Mr Underwood but lost 1 in transport. I gifted 5 of them to a young family that were both in the Army until last year and have just started on their own self-sustainable homestead. They want to raise and maintain heritage livestock and vegetables. Since it was the wife's birthday I thought that would be the perfect way of thanking them for their service and give them a start with real heritage chickens.

Penny

delisha, Yes I ordered eggs from Mr Heinz BUT the PO wreaked havoc on them, putting a hole in the side of the outside box and taking longer to deliver due to the package being stuck due to bad weather. I held out little hope for any of them hatching even though they were packaged extremely well. After 7 days I had 1 egg from the RC pen developing and 1 blood ring. Nothing on any of the others. I just kept my fingers crossed that the RC would make it to hatch and that it would be a RC, and it was, which really makes me happy.

I was able to get 25 SC chicks from Mr Underwood but lost 1 in transport. I gifted 5 of them to a young family that were both in the Army until last year and have just started on their own self-sustainable homestead. They want to raise and maintain heritage livestock and vegetables. Since it was the wife's birthday I thought that would be the perfect way of thanking them for their service and give them a start with real heritage chickens.

Penny

How wonderful you are...after all your troubles with shipping

I think I have all RC..
fl.gif
The combs are so tiny. I figure in a few weeks I will be able to tell better.

Penny

My HRIR boys are pure gentleman. Sometimes they don't want to be picked up and other times they don't mind.

I never thought I'd be excited about a rir until I saw a real one! A fellow bycer has gifted two Dick Horstman roos to me (single comb and rose comb) and wow I am in love! Going to work on getting more from this line and intend on building a dedicated pen. I have two hens that I thought were supposed to be rir... but now I see they are likely production reds at best. I have a lot of respect for those of you that have been working on these lines for so many years. I am brand new, have only had chickens since last September. But I'm learning! Thanks for all the knowledge shared on this forum. I'll be reading!

Robert,
I wrote to you a week or two ago about my wanting to do a story on heritage Rhode Island Reds and needing some info on you in order to submit a proposal to magazines. Could you e-mail 3 or 4 bullet points on why chicken fanciers should consider R.I.R in particular and heritage breeds specifically.
Thanks,

Instead of me coming up with good points for his article How About you all who have them write your thoughts. I will then take them and send them to this fellow.

I will send him the list of points Friday. bob

In the little bit of reading I have done, it is good to hear that HRIR are not overly agressive. I have ordered some Krainekoppes and RIR from Sand Hill Preservation Center. They referred to the RIR as not being a production variety, but the "true" Rhode Island Red. I am sure you all are aware of better lines of HRIR, but do you have an opinion regardning the Sand Hill line. I have had my share of rooster issues this year, to be expected I guess in your first year. Thanks for your help.

Robert,
I wrote to you a week or two ago about my wanting to do a story on heritage Rhode Island Reds and needing some info on you in order to submit a proposal to magazines. Could you e-mail 3 or 4 bullet points on why chicken fanciers should consider R.I.R in particular and heritage breeds specifically.
Thanks,

Instead of me coming up with good points for his article How About you all who have them write your thoughts. I will then take them and send them to this fellow.

I will send him the list of points Friday. bob
That's really making me think about the why I wanted RC HRIR. I know I'm glad I have some now, I'm just having trouble making a few bullet points on it. Anyways, I hope I'll be able to answer soon.

Back
Top Bottom