The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

The author of that piece you quoted was Robert Blosl, the originator of this thread.

Many of us have read that block of text on Bob's site. Mr Blosl started this thread and repeated the thoughts of that block of text many times here on his thread.

Last year, Bob was taken from us much too early in life. Rest in peace, Bob.

The author of that piece you quoted was Robert Blosl, the originator of this thread.

Many of us have read that block of text on Bob's site. Mr Blosl started this thread and repeated the thoughts of that block of text many times here on his thread.

I agree, Bob was taken from us much too early in life. I think about it often as we are the same age. He named my chick Hollywood (my avitar) shortly after he hatched because he thought he had good potential of being a really nice bird but sadly Hollywood was killed by a predator. I refer periodically to his website. I think I have read almost everything he wrote. He was a very wise man.

I did see that after I posted that, he really did seem to love what he did, and also go way out of his way to help others with what they loved to do.

Many of us have read that block of text on Bob's site.  Mr Blosl started this thread and repeated the thoughts of that block of text many times here on his thread.

Last year, Bob was taken from us much too early in life.  Rest in peace, Bob.

I agree, Bob was taken from us much too early in life. I think about it often as we are the same age. He named my chick Hollywood (my avitar) shortly after he hatched because he thought he had good potential of being a really nice bird but sadly Hollywood was killed by a predator. I refer periodically to his website. I think I have read almost everything he wrote. He was a very wise man.

Same here. .. I have stacks of breeding recommendations I've printed out from Bob. He was a great ambassador for the breed. His wisdom and knowledge are truly missed... As well as his sense of humor. :)

I will let others who are more versed on RIR history comment for further details, but I believe 2014 is the 100th year for the Underwood line. And Gary Underwood is still breeding them today (along with several others of us here in the US who have hopes of helping him perpetuate this line).
If you go to this link, you will find all you will ever need to know about the Underwood line and it is straight from the horses mouth. Gary tells of how his dad started all of this and then when he stepped in. The best information is information that the originator tells us. http://jimspetsandpoultry.weebly.com/underwood-birds.html
Jim

If you go to this link, you will find all you will ever need to know about the Underwood line and it is straight from the horses mouth. Gary tells of how his dad started all of this and then when he stepped in. The best information is information that the originator tells us. http://jimspetsandpoultry.weebly.com/underwood-birds.html
Jim
Thanks for all the great information on the RC's Underwood line. That is the line I am raising too. I am very happy with them so far, and the eggs just started coming along at 8-9 months of age.

I am so happy that my early birthday present came from my husband. I can't wait to use it. We won't start gathering eggs for a few more weeks. I just separated the breeding pen from the egg layers for eating and sales. I also want to test fertility before we do anything else.
We are raising the Underwood RC's in our breeding pen and can't wait to see the offspring. We also have a blue splash marans roo in with the egg layers and have a buff chantecler. The couple of chicks from that combo made a hefty offspring and matured pretty quickly. I hope to see some of those eggs and raise them to butcher. The breast was pretty large and looks to be a good meat bird. Time will tell if the buffs are still laying. They are going on three years old and if I don't see a egg from them soon, they are gone. There is also some SC RIR egg layers, (or those that did not make the cut for the breeding pen) in with the marans roo. I think that may make a good meat bird also. We plan to rotate days that they free range, so they don't interact with each other. Here is a pic of the maran/chantecler combo. She just started to act interested in laying. I hope she lays a pretty olive egg.

Back
Top Bottom