The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

I agree with Fred, the more precise your record keeping the more information you have the less variance you have in future matings because you KNOW what they produce, and you know exactly where they came from to reproduce similar specimens.

Well ironically, all 4 of my breeders will now be easy to track since one of them from the other pen went broody a week ago. I finally gave her 7 eggs. Geesh... who knew I'd be tracking 4 separate hens.
I've been tracking daily laying by pen and have now switched to individual records. I guess I'm just too anal to not track what is obvious.

Last edited:
Well, I finally am able to post on this thread, had to download Firefox to get it to work. I have been lurking and couldn't ask a question. Any way I am warming up the incubator and will have around 24 eggs to go in there. Keeping my fingers crossed that I'll have some babies soon.
celebrate.gif

Cool. I wish my RIR hens were laying already. I am getting anxious to build my flock and and start breeding them.

Spent a little time out there in the coop today and think I found the spot where a mouse got in. Well actually think it was a field vole as tail was short when I caught it last night in the trap where I saw tracks outside the coop last night.

They now have some refurbished nests out in the larger coop since the old rocks were commandeering the dark nests in the tiny coop I plan to use for chicks or as a brooding safety pen.

Turned all the 2x6 I had laying below the front screened part on end and separated them a bit. Boy did they all like those. Now they have perching spots without going to the roost in back or inside the brooding pen coop. I'll need to hatch all I get this year to build up and begin breeding. Then if one wants to go broody in the future years.... well I will enjoy it! I have some crib sides all ready to close off an area for grow out.

This year will have to work on "finishing off" the exterior and make sure things are more secure and tightened up. Have to be sure the hardware cloth open ends are also braced to deter any by passing bears, coons and opossum. Then a secure outside area for when I am gone.

Just had my first chick of the year hatch. They are due to hatch tomorrow but I guess this little one couldn't wait. Have several more pips.

Hello everyone, I have some eggs hatching from the reds I got from Steven (sgribble). We are excited! Even though they are pullet eggs. We went ahead and put them in. Have some more going to hatch next week. :)

What is wrong with hatching Pullets eggs?

Nothing in my opinion. I have saved every egg so far and put in the incubator. I will have several split hatches a week apart. I just need more pens :/ They are some magnificent looking birds. People come and see our chickens and first thing they ask is what are those. So I tell them true Rhode Island reds.

Back
Top Bottom