The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

• Her is my Kettle hens and Rooster I Have been working on the last 4 yrs The laying is still good in them My pullets start to lay around 5 1?2 mo old and starts out has big has a Reg large egg.They will lay like crazy.

We have found our Kittle females to be among the best layers. However, the feathering isn't up to par with the better lines and the type isn't quite as showy. I think it is hard to make general statements about birds from the Kittle lines because Mr Kittle tweaked his birds to his own liking many, many times over the years. Afterall, he was breeding them for 75 years, so it really depends on when you got the birds and what "mix" you got at the time. Is there value in some of those older lines? Oh yes, I believe so, but for many folks they might be better off with different birds. It just depends on what you're looking for.

It just all depends on what you want and what you want to do with the birds. The Nelson line birds we got from immyjay54 have feathering quality that simply takes your breath away. Just sayin'.

Quote:
Hello Fred, We also like are birds as large as we can get thm before slaughter. What method and how long do you age them?

Try skinning, there won't be any tiny feather hairs to stress over.

We don't stress over tiny hairs. Once cooked, you never notice them. Crispy skin is the best part
droolin.gif
I think a lot of Americans are a bit too picky, want everything sanitized and perfect before eating. Just like the cauliflower I grew this winter. The aphids found it and you could wash that cauliflower until you were blue in the face and never get them all out of those convoluted segments. I just sprinkle pepper over it after cooking, can't tell the aphids from the pepper, good to go
gig.gif

We don't stress over tiny hairs. Once cooked, you never notice them. Crispy skin is the best part
droolin.gif
I think a lot of Americans are a bit too picky, want everything sanitized and perfect before eating. Just like the cauliflower I grew this winter. The aphids found it and you could wash that cauliflower until you were blue in the face and never get them all out of those convoluted segments. I just sprinkle pepper over it after cooking, can't tell the aphids from the pepper, good to go
gig.gif
I sorta like skin on my chicken too, those pictures of the dressed birds looked so perfect that I couldn't help but ask. As to everything sanitized I do try to be clean buttttttttt a little dirt don't hurt anybody especially after a day in the barn or chicken yard. I have eaten my share of it when the wind blows on this hill top it can look like a dust storm. But real optimistic about raising and eating my own birds, when I saw the pictures I said yep we need to do that. These store bought birds are not always up to par. (and they have little hairs on them too)
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom