The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

also should we start with hatching eggs, or buy a trio as Bob says on his page.

It's always safest and best to start with the best trio that you can find and afford. Starting with eggs or chicks is rolling the dice, in any breed, any line. The advantage is you KNOW what you're getting, you know what the quality is, strong points, weak points, etc.

Hello ! I have been following this thred for some time now. I have heard you talk about many rir's. Now you talk about the different lines,( Reese, Underwood, Mohawk, Nelson, and Horstman). If a person was to get started in these, which would be the best for a newby to start with. I have been to Bob's B. and Jim;s web page to read on them. So I think I have narrowed it down to Nelson or underwoods. Would these be good lines to get into.

"Reese" and "Mohawk" are the same birds. There is no difference...just some people call them "Reese" and some people call them "Mohawk".
Everyone has there preferences but the 2 lines that you mentioned would probably serve you just fine depending on what you want to do with them.

Matt

Hello ! I have been following this thred for some time now. I have heard you talk about many rir's. Now you talk about the different lines,( Reese, Underwood, Mohawk, Nelson, and Horstman). If a person was to get started in these, which would be the best for a newby to start with. I have been to Bob's B. and Jim;s web page to read on them. So I think I have narrowed it down to Nelson or underwoods. Would these be good lines to get into.
Hi there,
You have gotten some very good answers already and thought that I would add my 2 cents to the pot of knowledge. Now mind, I am no expert and lots have a lot more knowledge then I do.
You already said you were on my site so you know that I have had or have all the lines that you mentioned. First, I want to say that in order to get a trio that is to the point that you can say you know what you are getting, it would cost you a small fortune if they had to be shipped. These birds change so much in a years time that you may have some idea but they can change from good to bad and bad to good very quickly. The 3 lines that I would consider the top 3 lines that I've had or worked with and no longer have are the Reese/Mohawk birds from Matt1616. these birds are super lookers, they have really good color, nice length and width to the backs, most have very nice keels, nice combs and I have found out this year that they will lay every bit as good as the Nelson's. The Nelson girls seem to be a little larger ( especially in length ), I did have a little bit of a problem getting the length, width on the cockerels but it can be fixed if you work a little with it and a lot of the original boys had a bit of a roach to their backs which I don't have that problem now either. This line is like having a bunch of pups running around your feet. Very easily tamed for handling. Super layers. The Underwood's, both SC and RC are very nice looking birds, good rich dark mahogany color, decent layers, nice brick shape to both male and female. If you are wanting broody hens, I personally think that this would be the line for you.
For showing, to what I've seen it seems that the Reese boys would be the way to go. The other two lines seem to have a much higher tail set then the Reese boys have. Some may even say they are to low but they do raise their tails. I have not shown poultry but if I ever got the urge to do so I believe that I would pick one of my Reese boys and really get him ready but this is just my opinion.
These three lines are all super duper nice and would be really hard for me to tell anyone which is best. I can only say the best points that I've found with each one then you would have to think what you are wanting most. lol It isn't an easy decision. I'm really wanting to get to one line but every time I get to thinking about it I get a headache.
I really do hope that this has helped you. Again I say, I'm no expert but this is my own personal experience with each of these lines and as you've seen there is a lot more info on my site about all these birds. I love all three of these lines.
Jimmy

Well in about 14 days I get my red chicks I bred that Fred hatched for me! :clap I will be collecting the eggs from my Nelson couple for him to hatch for me then.

Perhaps by next years chicks on the ground I will have saved enough for a good incubator of my own. By then I should understand better the SOP book, and have been able to watch the type development and my eye to determine my culls.

I know I have a lot to learn. But this will keep my mind occupied while the cull group gives me eggs to eat. It will help me feel like I am doing something to help myself and not focus on not being able to hold work like most people. The less help I fall into needing to survive the better I feel about myself. I won't be a docile, let the Government take care of them and support them drain on society.

Wait, negativity trying to creep in..... going to go out now and observe the chickens... might be an egg or two as today was a couple below normal.

Great advice given by everyone.

I only have experience with three lines of the Reds and the Nelsons are indeed the most puppy dog strain of any bird, of any breed, I've ever been around and that's a fair amount of time.

That they are heart attack, drop dead gorgeous doesn't hurt anything either.
big_smile.png

Great advice given by everyone.

I only have experience with three lines of the Reds and the Nelsons are indeed the most puppy dog strain of any bird, of any breed, I've ever been around and that's a fair amount of time.

That they are heart attack, drop dead gorgeous doesn't hurt anything either.
big_smile.png
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom