The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Can anyone recommend a way to get Rhode Island Red hens legs more orange after they have layed for most of a season. I am showing one of my hens in July and her legs are gone a lot paler than what they were in December. I am giving her some dried marigold petals in her feed and water but. I want to do something more for her. Any ideas?

Also, I haven't seen much talk of wing feather colouring. The British standard calls for the primary feathers to be black on the outside and red on the outside, the secondaries are black on the inside and red on the outside and the wing coverts are completely black. Most breeders are having trouble with black peppering on the side that should be red. Is this a problem in a America or is it even in your standard?

Thanks
I feed whole corn (just a little) along with my layer pellets. That is the only thing I give mine. Honestly I think it is either a genetic thing with the different lines. I've seen some that their legs go really light especially when laying and then I've gotten others that keep all the leg color very well. Some have said Marigold Extract. I really don't know for sure.
As for the wing color, that had been discussed on here quite a bit but way back in the thread. I believe it is closer to the beginning of this thread. There is some about this on my site also.

Quote:
This is what I have now but I only have one. The lid is hinged on the brooder. Right now the brooder is out and a small coop is in the pen. I covered it with tarps here because we had rain.

Now I have a piece of roofing metal on top. It has wheels and is movable.

This is what I have now but I only have one. The lid is hinged on the brooder. Right now the brooder is out and a small coop is in the pen. I covered it with tarps here because we had rain.

Now I have a piece of roofing metal on top. It has wheels and is movable.

Exactly what I'm planning on only I think I would have to put solid bottom because our springs are way to cold for chicks. I can have tarps over top and sides until it warms up or chicks grow some. lol

There are those who swear by things like corn, marigold, or dandelions for more yellow legs but from what I can tell is totally genetic. Best time to cull for leg color in a pullet is just before pol.

Last edited:
I'm not talking about pullets who have bad leg colour from the start, I am talking about hens whose leg colour fades after they have layed for a couple of months. I will get some maize to mix in with their feed tommorrow.

I'm not talking about pullets who have bad leg colour from the start, I am talking about hens whose leg colour fades after they have layed for a couple of months. I will get some maize to mix in with their feed tommorrow.
These are pictures of two different hens that have been laying since February. The only thing they get besides layer pellets is a little whole corn each day. The Cock Birds are the same. First pic is taken from the back but you can see her toe on the left foot and it is dark all the way to the toe nails. Again, I honestly think it is a genetic thing. I'm no expert and this is just my opinion.

What my thoughts are: If I have say six of them then I could put a couple of groups of young in each one as grow out pens. I even thought of making a few 3 x 6 for cock bird pens when breeding season is done. I have a few boys that stay together well without fighting and a 3 x 6 would be plenty big enough for 2 adult boys. Oh my, it seems we never get done with these birds. I would never advise anyone to get more then one line of reds at a time. lol It sure is a lot of work. I wouldn't mind if we didn't go below freezing during winter time. I just hate breaking all that ice every day. Geez, it seems like I do an awful lot of complaining. ha,ha.
I have 3 short pens that are 4' x 8' x 2 ft tall. They are nice, only one has a true nesting area though. The others were made more for growing out. Although I did use them for breeding this winter.
I'm not really sure I want two lines at the same time but there are days when I think about it. Then I think why not an entirely different breed to add variety to the flock and show off why these reds look so good. Ideas, plans, all creating more projects. It never really ends.

Quote: They do have a cute puff ball look though and they come in more than one color too.
I have also heard that the naked neck heritage chickens are good at going broody. I have 2 naked neck pullets I'm raising up to find out. I have to say that for my toddlers, those naked neck chickens make their day for one reason only, their name. My children love to tell those two chickens that they are naked and it is time to get dressed.

Quote:
Here lately the temperature has been in the mid 90's during the days and upper 60's at night but that is around 6am otherwise it has been in the mid 70's most of the night. This week daytime highs in the lower 90's. At night the babies tuck in under mom. There is plenty of hay in the nest box part. This was a BO hatch from a couple of years ago.

Back
Top Bottom