The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

I thought the nelson line was liked because they were a bit sooner to lay.
there doesn't seem to be many HRIR Nelson line birds around here, it all seems to be the other lines. I haven't noticed when mine lay but I have some young pullets that I put out in the flock and will watch and see if they lay early. I just happened upon the Nelson line so can't compare any other lines like JimmyJay does. I am not set up to keep different lines so will stick with what I have. But love my Reds.

I don't know that the Nelson based birds lay sooner or not. We've only had them for a year or two, so I cannot say much about earlier laying. We're tracking it closely this year and maybe we'll draw some conclusions later on.

One misnomer, again, on the Name of the line that still leaves me feeling "funny" is that poor Don hasn't seen or touched any of our birds, make any of the selections for breeding them in 5, maybe 7, maybe 8 years. There's too much weight put on the names of lines when our focus, in my estimation? Study the Standard, take note of good birds that others are showing and work hard to produce good, bred to Standard Reds.

5 years is plenty of time for someone to not pay close attention and turn even great birds with Don Nelson's touch from years ago, into some very below average birds. There's no inherent magic in a "name". We've all got to work hard on our birds. Just saying.

I don't know that the Nelson based birds lay sooner or not. We've only had them for a year or two, so I cannot say much about earlier laying. We're tracking it closely this year and maybe we'll draw some conclusions later on.

One misnomer, again, on the Name of the line that still leaves me feeling "funny" is that poor Don hasn't seen or touched any of our birds, make any of the selections for breeding them in 5, maybe 7, maybe 8 years. There's too much weight put on the names of lines when our focus, in my estimation? Study the Standard, take note of good birds that others are showing and work hard to produce good, bred to Standard Reds.

5 years is plenty of time for someone to not pay close attention and turn even great birds with Don Nelson's touch from years ago, into some very below average birds. There's no inherent magic in a "name". We've all got to work hard on our birds. Just saying.

Understand where you are coming from, but don't we have to at least find a way to distinguish between all the lines so we don't have Nelson-Reese-Mohawk-JimmyJay-Dinahmoe etc etc, so just kinda sorta keeping it short helps get an idea what line is what even though you know the original breeder didn't have your birds and your own screw ups.
hmm.png

Nothing wrong with giving information as to the foundations of our birds. My only concern is the impression that is sometimes left in the minds of folks that 5 −8 generations later, these birds are still what the original keeper of that line had in mind. That question can only be answered by judging the birds against the Standard.

These birds, just because they have history, a name and or some heritage do not stay "put together" by themselves and not immune to decline and disarray. A couple of bad matings and failure to hatch adequate numbers and/or cull properly and any breed, strain or "line" can slide into the sewer pretty quickly.

A Mr Reese, or Mr Nelson or Mr Meyers may have put together some great birds back then, but they're in our hands now. I'm reading, studying, asking, learning, observing and working hard at trying to comprehend it and put together good birds from the DNA I've inherited.

Quote:

Nothing wrong with giving information as to the foundations of our birds. My only concern is the impression that is sometimes left in the minds of folks that 5 −8 generations later, these birds are still what the original keeper of that line had in mind. That question can only be answered by judging the birds against the Standard.

These birds, just because they have history, a name and or some heritage do not stay "put together" by themselves and not immune to decline and disarray. A couple of bad matings and failure to hatch adequate numbers and/or cull properly and any breed, strain or "line" can slide into the sewer pretty quickly.

A Mr Reese, or Mr Nelson or Mr Meyers may have put together some great birds back then, but they're in our hands now. I'm reading, studying, asking, learning, observing and working hard at trying to comprehend it and put together good birds from the DNA I've inherited.

For my 2¢, I agree with what you are saying. My goal is to keep the birds DNA 100% as far as the lines I have chosen to raise. I try to find people who hopefully keep their lines pure by not breeding in other lines. I'm sure you will get a mixed bag of inherited traits in any line. We just look for the best in our chosen lines. Most people don't really care about lineage or standards, they just want good layers. For those who show their birds or just want to preserve a certain line, a different story. Bob Blosl taught me a lot about the lines. http://bloslspoutlryfarm.tripod.com/id55.html

I know someone on here has had to deal with sour crop. I think that is what is going on with my young cockerels. I have been giving them some peach peelings to peck on and now they all have swollen crops and two have died. Any advice about what to do. These are in a coop so they don't free range like the others if that matters. Am growing them out to butcher.
I saved one of my hens with the same problem. I tipped my upside down and rubbed on her crop. She throw up for awhile. What a mess. lol. Then put 1 tsp of Epsom salt in 1oz of water and feed it to them. then give them 1 1/2 tsp of ASV in water. also give them 2 tbsp. of yogurt. That will clean them right up.

Last edited:
Well still have the one hanging in there. I started him on Corid this morning and he is still with me so far checked on him a few minutes ago and made him drink some of the water with the med in it. I saw this morning he looked like he had pooped a little blood so said I'll cure him or kill him so I'm doctoring him up good, he wants to eat a little so made him a wet mash to peck at, doesn't eat much. Thanks for your help

Also keep an eye on there backends. If you see any dirty tail feathers clean them up and do the above steps.

Quote:
Quote: If the Corid doesn't work try Sulmet 12.5% (Sodium Sulfamethazine). There are times when Sulmet is not available but Sodium Sulfamethazine is and it is the same thing. Sulmet 12.5% (sulfamethazine) in their water 2 tablespoons per gallon of water for 3 to 5 days as their only source of drinking water. Sulmet is a good general purpose antibacterial.

Sodium Sulfamethazine Solution 12.5% Indications
POULTRY: To control outbreaks of Caecal Coccidiosis, infectious Coryza, and secondary bacterial infections associated with outbreaks of diseases like CRD caused by organisms susceptible to sulfa drugs.

Last edited:

I have been out of touch for a bit. Fred, I don't even know what line I have from you, but I am pretty sure all 8 pullets are laying at 23 weeks. They all look like they are laying and they all take the stand when you pet them. Most of them squat just when I walk by. By the way, lost my rooster, loose dog.

If the Corid doesn't work try Sulmet 12.5% (Sodium Sulfamethazine). There are times when Sulmet is not available but Sodium Sulfamethazine is and it is the same thing. Sulmet 12.5% (sulfamethazine) in their water 2 tablespoons per gallon of water for 3 to 5 days as their only source of drinking water. Sulmet is a good general purpose antibacterial.

Sodium Sulfamethazine Solution 12.5% Indications
POULTRY: To control outbreaks of Caecal Coccidiosis, infectious Coryza, and secondary bacterial infections associated with outbreaks of diseases like CRD caused by organisms susceptible to sulfa drugs.
Saved the one by using Corid and I dosed the whole flock to be on the safe side and everybody seems to be ok except for the heat and I am putting frozen gallon jugs of water in their water buckets to keep it cool.

Back
Top Bottom