The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

I know the feeling of everyone being very far away Im in southwest ms and most people who have chickens are not broadcasting it. Or don't want to sell them.

I'm in WV..just close enough to the middle of the state that even our bigger cities are hours away..Makes for some beautiful scenery though so I guess I'll stay ;)

I'm in East TN and travel frequently to the Carolinas and GA. But I no longer ship eggs (too much of a hassle since I'm 30 minutes to the closest post office). I sell started pullets and cockerels beginning mid summer and through the fall each year.

I know the feeling of everyone being very far away Im in southwest ms and most people who have chickens are not broadcasting it. Or don't want to sell them.
zabrielle23, there are quite a few people in South Mississippi with pure bred/show quality Rhode Island Reds. Actually there was a big poultry show in Columbia back in January. I was there and sold probably 25 RIR's.

Matt

Looking for a place that sells true Heirloom heritage Rhode Island Reds. I live in Northeastern PA. Thanks for anyone's help.

Well I just lost my breeder Cockerel. I cracked the door to the shed for some light to process a female that was egg bound. He followed me and watched (complaining) through the door.

Followed me to the house with the carcass iin cooling ice water yelling at me. He chased all the other girls toward the coop then came under the last window he saw me at (sat down under computer to look up if it is ok to eat her)... He made this awful racket started flapping wings and made some moanful sounds then screamed and then funny noise. I jumped up saw he close his eyes and ran to see if he was ok. He didn't budge! So don't know why unless he was so upset at me over his favorite hen.

So now I wait to see if any decent cockerels come of this set in the incubator now. :fl

Might have to borrow his son back from Fred or I'll be done hatching for this year like it or not! :confused:

Well I just lost my breeder Cockerel. I cracked the door to the shed for some light to process a female that was egg bound. He followed me and watched (complaining) through the door.

Followed me to the house with the carcass iin cooling ice water yelling at me. He chased all the other girls toward the coop then came under the last window he saw me at (sat down under computer to look up if it is ok to eat her)... He made this awful racket started flapping wings and made some moanful sounds then screamed and then funny noise. I jumped up saw he close his eyes and ran to see if he was ok. He didn't budge! So don't know why unless he was so upset at me over his favorite hen.

So now I wait to see if any decent cockerels come of this set in the incubator now. :fl

Might have to borrow his son back from Fred or I'll be done hatching for this year like it or not! :confused:

Oh no..so sorry for your loss ..My daughter's gelding grieved himself to death over a rescue mare we had..they weren't together but a month and he got very attached. We tried to save her, but the effects of her long term neglect finally won. We lost him almost 3 days later..he just laid down and refused to get up and was fighting harder to die than to live ♡ No one can convince me that animals don't feel..it may not be in the same capacity as us, but it's there regardless

Last edited:

i am so sorry for your lost ,I had a hen once that was so attached to a roo that i gave away she had a heart attack when the people liad him up in there car she made to same funny screaming noise the dird vet said she had a heart attack and she was an older bird.

I am very happy that this RIR thread is still alive. I have been out of the loop for a long time. Jimmy I am not sure if ur Mohawks are still from the ones I sent you or not. I think they were from my second year after I got my start from Greg Chamness. I still have a few but did not hatch enough to cull or improve--- divorce etc etc. I am going to start all over this fall with some chicks from a breeder in Ill. He sent pictures and they are pretty nice. He got them from a very closed flock and is very excited about them. I would need to go back in my notes to find out more about them. Not real excited about fall chicks but will take what I can get. He is an APA judge so I have a lot of hope for them. New wife supports the project so hopefully the hatching room can open up again. I miss Bob. Still have some of his old emails. I will keep them

Hello to all the members in this magnificent thread, I want to hear your opinion on my roo! Please.

Back
Top Bottom