The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Getting very frustrated!! Not sure if it's my cockerel or pullet. I'm having fertility problems. Had to throw out 4 out of 6 eggs at 2 weeks in bator for non-fertile. Checked the ones after 7 days and looks like almost all of the 7 eggs are infertile. It's not the condition feed etc. Because all my breeding areas are the same. And the pair of reds are the only ones having this issue. All other breeds I never throw out eggs for this. It's going to take me 5 yrs to get any type of flock with these. :(
Not only the balancing act of a young male it is also the female submitting correctly. If you up your protein that might help. I know that in one breed I have I have to use a higher protein to get good fertility.

OH MY GOSH,

You may all disagree with me and that is fine. Everyone has opinions. I will never tell anyone what to or not to do with their birds/animals but when the time comes that I have to start plucking/trimming feathers from a chickens butt to get fertile eggs then I'm out of the chicken business. Holy catfish, I never heard of such stuff.

Got to tell this story. For quite a few years I bred German Shepherd Dogs, back in the 60's. Probably about 15 years ago I decided I wanted to get some really good stuff and I bought a male from over seas and had him shipped in to me. It cost me all but $6000.00. I had a very nice female and when she came in heat I turned the male loose with her and nothing. I'm not going to go into all the details except that I contacted the breeder and he sent me a video and pictures and said that this was what they did. They actually held the female and got down on the ground and got hold of the male and inserted him into the female. Oh my gosh, I about fell on the floor when I saw what some folks do. Needless to say, I don't breed dogs of any kind anymore. If that dog is that stupid that he doesn't even know how to do something as natural as breeding a female then I sure would not want any pups out of him.

I can say that I have had 5 or 6 different lines of the RIR's over the years and the only time I have had a problem with infertility was a couple of years ago in the really cold weather and it was with my RC Reds but the weather was really cold (like -35 degrees wind chill) and I had a really hard time until it warmed up. Real recent, I had a problem with some of my older males but I know it is because their spurs are toooo long. I've watched them and can only hit maybe 1 out of 3 or 4 times. They usually end up just giving up.

Just my thoughts and everyone can do what ever they please. If a bird or anything else can't breed naturally then I don't want them. I will stick with the ones that can. I know that folks do this but me personally, I never will. I had paid $470.00 for a pair of English orpingtons a few years ago and never had one fertile egg from them. The hen ended up dying and I butchered the cock bird. Expensive meal but that is just how it goes.

This is just my two cents worth and I'm sticking to it. I've got a whole lot more to do then to be a chicken butt plucker. Just saying.

Jimmy

OH MY GOSH,

You may all disagree with me and that is fine. Everyone has opinions.  I will never tell anyone what to or not to do with their birds/animals but when the time comes that I have to start plucking/trimming feathers from a chickens butt to get fertile eggs then I'm out of the chicken business.  Holy catfish, I never heard of such stuff. 

Got to tell this story.   For quite a few years I bred German Shepherd Dogs, back in the 60's.  Probably about 15 years ago I decided I wanted to get some really good stuff and I bought a male from over seas and had him shipped in to me. It cost me all but $6000.00.  I had a very nice female and when she came in heat I turned the male loose with her and nothing. I'm not going to go into all the details except that I contacted the breeder and he sent me a video and pictures and said that this was what they did. They actually held the female and got down on the ground and got hold of the male and inserted him into the female. Oh my gosh, I about fell on the floor when I saw what some folks do.  Needless to say, I don't breed dogs of any kind anymore. If that dog is that stupid that he doesn't even know how to do something as natural as breeding a female then I sure would not want any pups out of him. 

I can say that I have had 5 or 6 different lines of the RIR's over the years and the only time I have had a problem with infertility was a couple of years ago in the really cold weather and it was with my RC Reds but the weather was really cold (like -35 degrees wind chill) and I had a really hard time until it warmed up.  Real recent, I had a problem with some of my older males but I know it is because their spurs are toooo long.  I've watched them and can only hit maybe 1 out of 3 or 4 times.  They usually end up just giving up. 

Just my thoughts and everyone can do what ever they please.  If a bird or anything else can't breed naturally then I don't want them.  I will stick with the ones that can. I know that folks do this but me personally, I never will.  I had paid $470.00 for a pair of English orpingtons a few years ago and never had one fertile egg from them. The hen ended up dying and I butchered the cock bird. Expensive meal but that is just how it goes. 

This is just my two cents worth and I'm sticking to it.  I've got a whole lot more to do then to be a chicken butt plucker.     Just saying. 

Jimmy
Very well said!#!!

OH MY GOSH,

You may all disagree with me and that is fine. Everyone has opinions. I will never tell anyone what to or not to do with their birds/animals but when the time comes that I have to start plucking/trimming feathers from a chickens butt to get fertile eggs then I'm out of the chicken business. Holy catfish, I never heard of such stuff.

Got to tell this story. For quite a few years I bred German Shepherd Dogs, back in the 60's. Probably about 15 years ago I decided I wanted to get some really good stuff and I bought a male from over seas and had him shipped in to me. It cost me all but $6000.00. I had a very nice female and when she came in heat I turned the male loose with her and nothing. I'm not going to go into all the details except that I contacted the breeder and he sent me a video and pictures and said that this was what they did. They actually held the female and got down on the ground and got hold of the male and inserted him into the female. Oh my gosh, I about fell on the floor when I saw what some folks do. Needless to say, I don't breed dogs of any kind anymore. If that dog is that stupid that he doesn't even know how to do something as natural as breeding a female then I sure would not want any pups out of him.

I can say that I have had 5 or 6 different lines of the RIR's over the years and the only time I have had a problem with infertility was a couple of years ago in the really cold weather and it was with my RC Reds but the weather was really cold (like -35 degrees wind chill) and I had a really hard time until it warmed up. Real recent, I had a problem with some of my older males but I know it is because their spurs are toooo long. I've watched them and can only hit maybe 1 out of 3 or 4 times. They usually end up just giving up.

Just my thoughts and everyone can do what ever they please. If a bird or anything else can't breed naturally then I don't want them. I will stick with the ones that can. I know that folks do this but me personally, I never will. I had paid $470.00 for a pair of English orpingtons a few years ago and never had one fertile egg from them. The hen ended up dying and I butchered the cock bird. Expensive meal but that is just how it goes.

This is just my two cents worth and I'm sticking to it. I've got a whole lot more to do then to be a chicken butt plucker. Just saying.

Jimmy
I agree!

I don't have breeds that need "trimming"

Spurs are a good tip and letting them get some practice.

There is something to be said for letting nature taking it course as for as trimming rear end feathers that not for me yuck and i at one time bred scottish collies you know *lassie type *my male collie died and i got another for service and when she was ready my female had to sit on his face for him to get the idea in not joking this really happened and right then I made up my mind champion boodline not that male dog was out of the picture i knew i want no pup sired by him lol and jimmy i apologize u didnt mean you would tell anyone what to do with there birds that didnt type out right I meant to seak advice from you or matt .

The extreme winter of 2013/2014 ~ My DH trimmed a few feathers as the yuck was freezing on them so fast. There were 2 with rears similar to pasty chick rears but full size chickens. It was not a fun job.
But I haven't done it for fertility issues. Can't say I wouldn't try it but can't say it be the first thing I'd try either.

Off Topic.
Great news, we found the kittens there are 4 of them. The mother brought them in from where ever she was hiding them to her new spot under the chicken food. So once the last back of chick starter got moved, the kittens were there. They look nice and plump too considering the mom had no signs of nursing them.
They are already playing with the chickens and having a blast.

Last edited:
There is something to be said for letting nature taking it course as for as trimming rear end feathers that not for me yuck and i at one time bred scottish collies you know *lassie type *my male collie died and i got another for service and when she was ready my female had to sit on his face for him to get the idea in not joking this really happened and right then I made up my mind champion boodline not that male dog was out of the picture i knew i want no pup sired by him lol and jimmy i apologize u didnt mean you would tell anyone what to do with there birds that didnt type out right I meant to seak advice from you or matt .
What I was saying Loud Hen is that if you want to paint your hens toe nails pink or put rollers in their tails to curl the feathers that is all up to you. I wouldn't say to do it or not to do it. lol

Sally,
What your DH did is totally awesome and if I had something going on and I thought that I could help them out to make them feel better etc. I would do the same thing. That is not what I was talking about and I think you know me well enough to expect me to help them in that situation also. lol It is just that folks have done so much off breeding with some of the breeds that they are ruining the natural process that these birds knew from creation. Man changes thing with fowl, animal etc then wonders why they can't reproduce. That is all I'm saying. I'm sure not criticizing anyone for what they do, just saying I'm not doing it. LOL

Jimmy

What I was saying Loud Hen is that if you want to paint your hens toe nails pink or put rollers in their tails to curl the feathers that is all up to you. I wouldn't say to do it or not to do it. lol 

Sally,
What your DH did is totally awesome and if I had something going on and I thought that I could help them out to make them feel better etc. I would do the same thing. That is not what I was talking about and I think you know me well enough to expect me to help them in that situation also. lol   It is just that folks have done so much off breeding with some of the breeds that they are ruining the natural process that these birds knew from creation.  Man changes thing with fowl, animal etc then wonders why they can't reproduce.  That is all I'm saying. I'm sure not criticizing anyone for what they do, just saying I'm not doing it. LOL  

Jimmy
yep i simply agree with you....simply said lol I wonder what ted hem would look like with red toenails? mmm...na ... Dont think iI wanta try that...lol! Not unless one makes it into show class then I may try purple Hahahahaha!

Not only the balancing act of a young male it is also the female submitting correctly. If you up your protein that might help. I know that in one breed I have I have to use a higher protein to get good fertility.
Protein shouldn't be a issue. I have both 16% layer feed and 20% game bird breeder feed in there in separate bowls. That way they eat what they need. Could be her position though. I mean this may sound ridiculous but she has THE longest keel I have ever seen. Maybe she not lifting her tail so he can make contact. A thought I guess.

OH MY GOSH,

Jimmy
That has to be the funniest thing I have ever read. I guess Ill just get what I get. Going to be a slow process. HAHA to your post. Still makes me laugh.

Back
Top Bottom