The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Well looks like I ended up with 17 pulletts and 10 (well 11 counting an oooops) cockerels hatch this year. Already processed my 3rd and 4th choice breeders with the first hatchling cockerel I called Uno as it was the only one that made it and was bow legged. It lived long enough to make it outside to a grow out pen because it acted like a brooding hen with the other hatchlings!!! Let them climb under it and on its back to the point I thought I made a sexing error until it got bigger.

Fred brought me two more that pushed my two out of keeping status for breeding. He came to help me sort my chicks and confirmed for me some I sorted out and banded for meat as cockerel. Then we banded pullets for potential watching. I sorted the pullets into a holding pen inside the big coop but now I leave the door of pen open and all seems well. So, now I have 2 good cockerels and 17 pullets along with 10 hens in the open air Woods style coop. Half the space/foul ratio. The Cockerels are active with the hens and two oldest pullets. I'm glad they are getting along so far and the pullets are mixing well as I want to use that pen for the extra Cockerel later and as a breeding pen further along.

I have several young cockerels, Nelson line, hatched in May 2015, I'll give to someone if they would like to have them, I'll try to get a decent picture to post on here, got my start from JimmyJay. I'm in Mississippi.

I got my first true RIR starts from Freds Hens. I think he got his from Jimmy... but don't remember for sure. Don't know who these last 2 Cockerels source was. But the cockerel chicks are downline of those firsts.

If anyone near enough in Michigan wants to save the chicks from the freezer let me know soon pm. I am just north of Comins and 7 miles south of Atlanta.

I've been blessed along the way in working with the Reds. I did get a few birds from Jim Rankin. I also got some very good stock from Ron Fogle and Christine Kitsch out in eastern Penn. Been also working with an old line of Kittle/Horstman type birds for many, many years and they've still got a ways to go.

The Reds are very enjoyable, as a breed. Some of the very best folks in this hobby are Reds breeders and I've enjoyed meeting so very many of them.

Some of the pullets.

They are beautiful...
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom