The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Does anybody else have problems with their SC RIRs getting frostbite? Temps have been as low as 9 degrees F here and i have noticed some yellowing of the tips of their combs. I applied vaseline just to be safe, but i really can't be doing that to every bird every week for the rest of winter. Anyone else experience this?

Yes, my roosters tend to get frostbite in the winters. I've changed coop styles this year, and things are looking great so far. But, we haven't had anything below 10 degrees yet.

I'm not a fan of vaseline. Vegetable oil is much easier to apply. Oil does help. Last year, I couldn't catch a couple of my Red Dorking boys, and their combs fell off in the spring. My oiled boys, just lost their tips. I don't oil my hens at all, and I only do the boys when it gets super cold. If it's 9 degrees during the day, I oil them. 9 degrees at night, I tend to leave them alone.

Frozen wattles where a bigger issue for me, then the combs. I ended up feeding my boys snow instead, and that has helped the situation dramatically.

Castor oil makes a great moisture barrier while also actively bringing more blood to the area, even after the area has had a frosting already and looks like it may dub. It also has antibiotic, antifungal, antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory(soothes pain) and even antiparasitical properties. It's thicker in viscosity than other oils as well, tends to cling for a long time. Works great on scale mites too, one treatment usually gets it done. Can be found anywhere at drug stores in the laxative aisle and is pretty cheap for as far as it goes and how long it lasts....shouldn't have to apply it more than once per season/treatment.

I had a group of 14 roosters of large single comb breeds(leghorn, RIR, BO, mix) here for meat and they arrived with frosted combs and wattles already, so gave them a liberal coat of the CO and penned them in an open air pen. Temps were freezing and below at all times then but no further frost bite occurred and the frost bite damage to comb tips and wattles that was already in evidence resolved in a couple of days. They were here for a few weeks or so getting fed up for butcher and all combs and wattles were red and healthy at time of kill.

My WRs get a coat each winter and never a problem, even in -17 below zero, though it has a lot to do with my coop ventilation and DL, I also feel the CO does its part in that. I even have an open waterer and wattles on the roosters never show darkening.

Hmmm, interesting. I was looking at something like this for a well ventilated coop. I would keep the windows open 24/7 and same with the chicken door to the run, since it is all secure. Would that provide proper ventilation for eliminating frostbitten combs?

Just meandering around S. Alabama today and enjoing the beautiful day and gorgeous countryside. Lovin' it.

Strolled through Silverhill and of course, my thoughts went straight to Bob (this thread's starter). Didn't want to bother Zora by stopping by unexpectedly, but couldn't help but think of Bob today. Rest in peace, Robert.

Just meandering around S. Alabama today and enjoing the beautiful day and gorgeous countryside. Lovin' it.

Strolled through Silverhill and of course, my thoughts went straight to Bob (this thread's starter). Didn't want to bother Zora by stopping by unexpectedly, but couldn't help but think of Bob today. Rest in peace, Robert.

If you are anywhere near Lake City, Florida, we have a poultry show there on Saturday (January 9th). It would be nice to meet you. Rain is in the forecast for Saturday but I will be there anyway. I'm taking a few cockerels for sale and picking one up from Matt.

Hey. I meet a fella down here Kenny. I traded some barred rocks for 2 cockerels and 1 pullet of his white rocks. Beautiful birds they are. I think he said he got them from you or Bob.

Back
Top Bottom