The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

We have been having a water crises. Our well pump died Saturday afternoon. We have been without water. Hubby did figure out about getting water to the coops. I cleaned out a garbage can. We had used it years ago to haul water in and to use it to water with so the fitting was saved for it so we hooked it up to a spigot at the greenhouse and the water in the can is higher than the coops so the water is being gravity fed and it's enough to keep water in the waterers at the coops. We will get the pump replaced either tomorrow or the next day. We are adding a water pressure regulator so the pump won't cycle on and off but will maintain a certain pressure. Also possibly replacing some of the pipe. Not sure of the condition of it. It is 40 years old. We replaced and re-plumbed the tank some months ago.

Seems like I remember you mentioning that in the thread when you replaced it. hope things work out for you.

And so it begins. I had a feeling my eggs would follow suit of the last two batches, and hatch a day early. This evening is day 19, and I have a pip!!!
yesss.gif

While it's at the wrong end, I'm not too concerned at this time. I've hatched several that pipped in the same spot, and they've all been healthy and grown into healthy, happyy adults. It can take up to 24 hours before zipping begins, so I think I'm still on track for a Tuesday hatch. Come on chickies!!!
fl.gif

Come on chickies...
jumpy.gif

We have been having a water crises. Our well pump died Saturday afternoon. We have been without water. Hubby did figure out about getting water to the coops. I cleaned out a garbage can. We had used it years ago to haul water in and to use it to water with so the fitting was saved for it so we hooked it up to a spigot at the greenhouse and the water in the can is higher than the coops so the water is being gravity fed and it's enough to keep water in the waterers at the coops. We will get the pump replaced either tomorrow or the next day. We are adding a water pressure regulator so the pump won't cycle on and off but will maintain a certain pressure. Also possibly replacing some of the pipe. Not sure of the condition of it. It is 40 years old. We replaced and re-plumbed the tank some months ago.

I've been there before, and I'm so glad I'm on community water now! Glad you have a backup plan, and I hope it doesn't take too much to get it going again!!!
fl.gif

Then I can't see any reason not to proceed. Be sure to post some pics when you get them (we all know you will)!!!
thumbsup.gif

Yes, I can't wait to see what stock she has right now...even if it is only chicks. I'll try to get some pics of them, even though i am bad at it! It helps to really look at pics of champions and the breed standards so I know what to look for. Even if Toni doesn't have anything right now, there will be some from her birds at the show in a few weeks that I can pick up. This is really my first shot at a high quality RIR line, so I can't wait.

Pip #2 (from set #5):

Good luck with the hatch hope they all pip
yippiechickie.gif

I just hatched out a small batch of 10 eggs from 2 hens. I forgot to turn on the auto turner and did not realize it until 10 days later when I checked weights for moisture loss.

I had one of the hens go broody in that time too, so after day 18 I put all the eggs under her and 8 hatched out
woot.gif

Got very lucky on the losses, 80% hatch rate for not turning the first 10 days is not too bad.

I'll let her raise them so I don't have to build another brooder since a have 3 week old chicks in the brooder atm.

I'm so eggcited.
jumpy.gif
yippiechickie.gif
I'm so eggcited, too! I woke up this morning to find 5 more external pips!
yesss.gif

Good luck with the hatch hope they all pip
yippiechickie.gif

I just hatched out a small batch of 10 eggs from 2 hens. I forgot to turn on the auto turner and did not realize it until 10 days later when I checked weights for moisture loss.

I had one of the hens go broody in that time too, so after day 18 I put all the eggs under her and 8 hatched out
woot.gif

Got very lucky on the losses, 80% hatch rate for not turning the first 10 days is not too bad.

I'll let her raise them so I don't have to build another brooder since a have 3 week old chicks in the brooder atm.
Thanks, onarres! Wow... you were very lucky! Normally, the embryos would get stuck to the side of the egg if they're not turned for a long time. Congratulations!!!
clap.gif

I'm so eggcited.
jumpy.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Yes, I can't wait to see what stock she has right now...even if it is only chicks. I'll try to get some pics of them, even though i am bad at it! It helps to really look at pics of champions and the breed standards so I know what to look for. Even if Toni doesn't have anything right now, there will be some from her birds at the show in a few weeks that I can pick up. This is really my first shot at a high quality RIR line, so I can't wait.
Seeing champion birds will give you the perfect example of what to strive for. While there are very few champion birds in most flocks, you can pick the birds that are the closest to perfect and go from there. I know about the wait... it took me for what seemed f-o-r-e-v-e-r to get this journey started! You're about to get started, and I understand your excitement! I hope you get some great birds, and remember that bad pictures are better than no pictures!!!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom