The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Seen above is just an unofficial page. The Official page is silver bannered. Yes, joining the club grants you access to the fall membership meeting as well.
The National meet and the meeting will be announced soon. Stay tuned. Technically, discussing other sites is against BYC rules, so it's probably time to get off that subject.
wink.png

Oops.. well I'll probably be joining soon.

Boy that's my luck! Wish I was closer!

Same here. I saw they were in PA and was hopeful, but they are on the complete opposite end of the state. Thats a 5 hour drive for me. I'll do a lot of things for a nice bird but 5 hours is a bit much. All the good stuff is far from me.

We don't have much in our state that is of good quality either. There are a bunch of breeders of heritage RIR, but they don't keep them up to standard what so ever. The bad part is, people who don't know better pay premium for just a dark red bird basically.

We don't have much in our state that is of good quality either. There are a bunch of breeders of heritage RIR, but they don't keep them up to standard what so ever. The bad part is, people who don't know better pay premium for just a dark red bird basically.

I have to ship a lot of my birds in. NJ has very little as far as good red breeders and shows. You wont typically find any good reds at any NJ association shows. People at shows always are shocked when they see how different mine are compared to their productions and say they love the look of them, and want to get them. The problem is, where are they getting them from? If they aren't lucky enough to find a good one from a breeder breeding to the standard, chances are they are going on google or craigslist and searching "show quality rhode island red" or "heritage rhode island red". Doing so will most definitely always yield some backyard breeder or hatchery tricking people into believing they have good birds for sale. What most people fail to realize is that dark doesn't necessarily = quality. I didn't know any better when I bought birds from some lady who claimed their birds were heritage, dark mahogany, traditional reds. They are great layers, 6 a week large eggs, but they couldn't be further from the standard. That was the last time I bought from a backyard breeder. You just can't trust people. The only people I trust now are fellow RIR fanciers who just want to see people have good quality birds and want to see this fantastic breed preserved.

Back
Top Bottom