The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

A fine looking bird but it looks appears more like a Production Red. The legs and toes should have the brown color down the front and onto the toes in a true RIR and the tail is too high.
2015-04-29 14.42.07.jpg
IMG_3660.JPG

Last edited:
Hello all I’m am new to BYC. I have had chickens for several years now. I have had “standard” RIR’s But I am really wanting to get some true Heritage Rhode Island Reds. If anyone could direct me to the best place to purchase some it would be greatly appreciated.

The best place is from a breeder. Beware though some people may tell you they have pure RIR's but not always true. That happened to me then I went to a show and saw some very nice looking birds and bought them. I was happy with them until I went to another show and saw some birds that were absolutely beautiful. I met the fellow and made arrangements to buy some of his birds at another show. I have not been disappointed. I love my birds. I have both Rose Comb and Single Comb Rhode Island Reds. I have kept them pure over many years. Here is a SC female RIR.
IMG_3456.JPG

An RC RIR cockerel.
RCRIR.jpg

The best place is from a breeder. Beware though some people may tell you they have pure RIR's but not always true. That happened to me then I went to a show and saw some very nice looking birds and bought them. I was happy with them until I went to another show and saw some birds that were absolutely beautiful. I met the fellow and made arrangements to buy some of his birds at another show. I have not been disappointed. I love my birds. I have both Rose Comb and Single Comb Rhode Island Reds. I have kept them pure over many years. Here is a SC female RIR.
View attachment 2067097
An RC RIR cockerel.
View attachment 2067124
Do you sell chicks?

Hello all I’m am new to BYC. I have had chickens for several years now. I have had “standard” RIR’s But I am really wanting to get some true Heritage Rhode Island Reds. If anyone could direct me to the best place to purchase some it would be greatly appreciated.
I'm having my first chicks hatch/test hatch for this season, due to hatch Tues/Wed. My hatch is for the SC RIR, SC White Leghorns, RC Dark Brown Leghorns. I finally got the rest of my breeding pens set up about a month ago so I will be putting eggs in the incubator from other family groups, SC RIR, RC RIR, RC RIW, and the Leghorns. The females should be all cleaned out now. I usually have some of the eggs for breakfast and check for fertility too. I'll post some pictures.

Do you sell chicks?
No, I have in the past but not now especially with this coronavirus. I'm not sure how long the chicks would be in transit. I will sell eggs after my hatch. I want to know the hatch rate. I have two more hatches a week apart. I had the incubator full so now I have room for more as the eggs are in the hatcher.

Back
Top Bottom