The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

I hatched one pullet from 15 eggs sent from Gary, on 6/9/11. I don't have a male for her. She has not laid for me yet, however she has not been under any lights. I will try to get a picture of her when I get a chance.

I lost three dozen eggs during the april storm last year, and after three more dozen this one male is the only one. I hatched out over 300 chicks last year, had over a 90% hatchrate with mine, but couldn't get many of these to hatch for some reason, shipped eggs didn't help. The ones that did hatch couldn't get off their back, others developed pasty butt and died, even though I cleaned them constantly.. Never seen chicks that couldn't get off their backs before these, or continue to get pasty butt.. I do like the looks of these, and know if I could have hatched out atleast 20, I would have had a good start with this line. If anyone else got eggs from Mr.Ramey I would really be curious to know your success with them, and would love to see some pictures. I would also pay 50.00 a piece for two good pullets from this line, if anyone has any. I would also like to add, I have never seen a more curious bird as this male, he follows me around like my dog, never spooks, and will come to me as soon as he see's me, never had a production bird this friendly thats for sure.

Last edited:
Here are some pictures I took real quick today. I may try to get some better ones this weekend when I have some more time. I got all of these as eggs and chicks from Gary Ramey I was able to go to his house and pick up the chicks and eggs and had pretty good luck with them so far. They sure are friendly rhode island reds.

Billy,
The pullet I have from Ramey is a little under sized when compaired to my Bates pullets. She is a nice mannered bird who follows my boy all over the place. I would say she has pretty good color and a nice tail, but lacks in the front. She is kind of wedge shaped and has a smaller head as opposed to my Bates pullets who look like shoe boxes with legs. I will try to get some pictures of her the weekend.

Wow thanks for the pictures this gives us something to com pair strains with. I have one friend who told me the eggs where much smaller than my White Rock females very small. This may show why these birds are on the small size. A ckl should way 7 1/2 pounds at ten months of age. Better for him to weigh a pound more females should also be one pound over standard weight so they can lay a 2 1/2 oz eggs at say ten months. A dozen eggs should weigh at 24 oz. When you have your birds at that weight with brick shape like mentioned or like a shoe box you got good type.

The males should be about in size at ten months 24 inches tall from the ground to the tip of their comb and 24 inches from the end of their beak to the end of their sickle tail feather.

Legs should be dead center or plum backs flat the width of back from above should be wide like a two x eight board. You dont want the width to narrow to the oil gland area.

Matt in Lower Alabama I hope these pictures give you a idea what you have. Your males that you have especially the male with the damaged comb is going to throw some killer cockerels next fall and I cant wait to see what the females from Florida crossed onto this male produce. I have waited 15 years to see such a cross.

If any one has pictures regardless if the birds are on the run they are priceless for us to learn by. You all have very nice Reds to work with. For the folks who never saw a Heritage Rh ode Island Red the kind that the grand pas and grand mas had in the 1940s this is what is still left. Not a lot of them but maybe just maybe we can get ten new familys to raise and keep them in the next 12 months and then next year we will have numbers much like the Barred Rock Heritage large fowl that we have this year.

I hope maybe New York Reds can take some pictures of his fine line of large fowl reds. If you live in the cold north his birds will be perfect for your climate.

Again great teaching pictures Arron I am so glad you went to his house and got these last year. I lost track of you but I have pictures of these birds and I am satified with thier color and type. When you where at his home did he tell you how he got these birds years ago????Bob

Last edited:
Ron, if you get a chance I would love to see some pictures of her and some of the bates line you have. I would try and swap you out of her if shipping wasn't so high. Peachdawg, say yours look just like the Aarons above? If you have a few good pictures of yours to give me a idea of their type I would appreciate it. I would be curious to know the weights of your Ramey line if anyone knows it.

Back
Top Bottom