The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Haven't posted for a while, I'm having computer issues. Took a few shots today of my RIR juveniles from dinahmoe. Don Nelson lines. These shots are at 13 1/2 weeks old. First picture is of the 3 cockerels and 1 of the pullets. I guess you can tell by the combs/wattles.

Just had to let you see the chest on this bruiser, he looks like he has Cornish in him. lol

Pullet below is really heavy built.

Different pullet. Seems that they are all going to have pretty nice long flat backs and pretty nice tail set.

These birds might not be the perfect specimen but I am still very tickled with my Don Nelson and Mohawk lines as they are growing very nicely and seem to be filling out pretty well. Will post a few of the first bunch of Mohawks from Paul Gingerich soon. They are 10 weeks now and really beginning to get pretty nice.
Hope I haven't bored you all with so many pictures.
Jim

I'm seeing flat backs, good top colour, beak colour & leg colour. Also seeing broad, well rounded feathers over the female's backs which is a critical attribute. Looking good! Hope the ones you got from me do as well.

I'm seeing flat backs, good top colour, beak colour & leg colour. Also seeing broad, well rounded feathers over the female's backs which is a critical attribute. Looking good! Hope the ones you got from me do as well.
Oh wow, thanks so much for your comment NYREDS. I think you will be proud of the little ones I got from you. They are looking very nice for as small as they are. I will post some of them in a few weeks. Some are really feathering out nice.
Jim

10 week old Mohawks received from Paul Gingerich

6 week Mohawk pullet
from Paul Gingerich

Group of 6 week Mohawks

5 week old Don Nelson Pullet from NYREDS. Really close and flash made her look more red then she really is.

Group of 5 weeks old from NYREDS.

Several months ago I purchased a Heritage RIR cockerel and some Heritage RIR young pullets. Not long ago I hatched out some eggs from my birds and the chicks are just as gorgeous as the parent stock. I was told by the people I bought them from (at a poultry show) that the birds I purchased were descendants of the EW Reese line. I love the birds and they are such a dark mahogany color that they almost look black. I would like to purchase more of these birds but misplaced the name of the people I bought them from. Do you know of any breeders with the same line? I would like to keep the line going with some new blood. I am even interested in Heritage RIR fertile eggs. Thanks.

Here is my boy at 5/6 months old.

Last edited:
Several months ago I purchased a Heritage RIR cockerel and some Heritage RIR young pullets. Not long ago I hatched out some eggs from my birds and the chicks are just as gorgeous as the parent stock. I was told by the people I bought them from (at a poultry show) that the birds I purchased were descendants of the EW Reese line. I love the birds and they are such a dark mahogany color that they almost look black. I would like to purchase more of these birds but misplaced the name of the people I bought them from. Do you know of any breeders with the same line? I would like to keep the line going with some new blood. I am even interested in Heritage RIR fertile eggs. Thanks.

If you bought them a few months ago & this is your first generation offspring there's no reason you should be looking for "new blood". Work with what you have long enough to really understand them, then maybe & I stress maybe you'll want to bring in something else.

Hi guys. There are some beautiful birds on this thread. I am new to Heritage Reds, I purchased my first 10 (8 hens, 1 rooster and his son) in January 2012 and then was fortunate enough to find a second, smaller flock (3 hens and 1 rooster) in May of 2012.

Regretfully I do not have any pictures of my second flock at this time but I would like to post some pictures of the first group, hoping you can tell me what you think. The gentleman I bought them from purchased them at a show in Florida. For now here is a picture of the first group's rooster, Rhodey.

In Florida these are the names of people who I have heard of. Brian Simmons of Callahan Florida these are the original Mohawks I started him out 17 years ago. Then Rip Stalvey he lives in south Florida a judge have not seen a red of his in 20 years. He got his from Mr. Reese like I did 27 years ago.

Next was a fellow named Barry Roberts great looking strain but he will not level with you where he got his start so we dont know if they have the old Reese blood in them or not but the look like they do. He might have sold some to this guy. Then there was a fellow selling out of the back of his truck which where the Roberts strain. They call him the chicken peddler. That is all of the folks I know of who have large fowl Reds in Florida. The Bill Bennett line is from Georgia but I dont think he shows so they are not his. What you need to do is pick a line you like and go with that line. If you cross the two lines you will have a mess on your hands.

If you folks really have honest to goodness Mohawks which only can come from Brian Simmons or Greg Chamniss in Illinois or Paul in Colorado do not cross anything into your line unless you know they came from these breeders. There is a new strain of pure Mohawks in my region about twenty miles from me that are pure Florida and pure Illinois line and he has about 20 chicks that are half and half.

If you got Mohawks you are in desperate need to get some of these half and half's. The reason is they are getting way to inbreed with out new fresh blood. The hatching ration is proof of this.

So after five years I have handled some wonder full cross strain chicks and any one who gets these chicks and blends them in to their lines will be set for ten more good years of Vitality.

If you have the Don Nelson Line do not cross anything into them other than his birds or New York's Reds which are pure Nelson. New York Reds is a perfect source for large fowl Reds for people who live in the Mid West and the North or North East. Dont get a Red from Florida and think they are going to do great in below 0 weather. It will take three years of breeding to get them a custom to this cold climate and dont think birds from the North will enjoy being in this heat and humidity of the South it will take three years to adjust to our climate.

Well that's all I a going to write about. Nice color on all the birds. Just watch the tails as you guys pick your breeders for next year. Some are weak in tail furnishing some may have to much tail. But if that is all you got you have to breed with these. I don't think many of you plan to show your large fowl reds so its not a big issue if you just have them for person looks. At least you have the real McCoys and not my favorite reds the cherry eager's. bob

If I recall correctly, my birds came from a breeder in Georgia who has descendants of the EW Reese line. The people did tell me of a breeder in Florida that I believe they said lives in Callahan, Florida and the name Brian Simmons does ring a bell. I do want to continue with the line I have now. I may show them in the future. I may show first to see how they place.

It will take three years of breeding to get them a custom to this cold climate and dont think birds from the North will enjoy being in this heat and humidity of the South it will take three years to adjust to our climate.
Mr. Bob,
All of my LF Reds are from "up North", but seem to be handling the heat and humidity considering the 100 degree days. Do you have any suggestions to keeping them cool besides a good old fashioned shade tree with plenty of cool water?

Mr. Bob,
All of my LF Reds are from "up North", but seem to be handling the heat and humidity considering the 100 degree days. Do you have any suggestions to keeping them cool besides a good old fashioned shade tree with plenty of cool water?
I have to agree with this. A number of my birds are from "up North" and are doing well here in South Carolina as long as they have good shade cover and water. I try to turn out as many as possible so they can get back in the trees during the heat of the day. Heat is tough on birds whether they were raised here for 3 generations or not I believe....

Back
Top Bottom