The Heritage Rhode Island Red Site

Not the best pic, but this is one of the RIR's that I got from Matt a couple of months ago. His tail feathers are a little short right now but look past that....that's been corrected and they are just starting to come back in. By far this bird is my favorite RIR cockerel right now and he is still real young.

Chris

Last edited:
Met a friend at Malvern, Arkansas Walmart yesterday and picked up Jimmy's new Heritage Rhode Island Reds. 3 cockerels and 3 pullets. They hatched from FOGELLEY eggs from the Ricky Bates line. Thanks for helping Jimmy our.

We will do our best to help him become the best Red breeder in Arkansas...well at least south Arkansas!

Cell phones are not the besty cameras!

408230_4331548694607_393249688_n.jpg

That's good to hear! I have had really good hatches with very vigorous chicks, and by all reports so have the few people I sent eggs to.

Keep me posted on their progress.

Ron

Nice to see all of you share your birds with others. Also, its nice to see many are trying to preserve some of the good strains and keep the pure. There are only about three or four good strains left today. Don't cross them as this is the number one sin not only in the USA but even England. I will post a email I got from the club sectary in England. They have their problems also with reds and color.

Nice pictures and keep boosting those old time reds. Would like to see some Strawberry eggers one day. bob

Not the best pic, but this is one of the RIR's that I got from Matt a couple of months ago. His tail feathers are a little short right now but look past that....that's been corrected and they are just starting to come back in. By far this bird is my favorite RIR cockerel right now and he is still real young.

Chris

Hey Chris,
How old is this fella? Just took a picture of my pick of my oldest Don Nelson line. This guy is just 5 months old today. This is my mini tank. ha,ha. One shot was with flash (top) bottom was without it. His tail isn't in yet either.

Last edited:
Nice to see all of you share your birds with others. Also, its nice to see many are trying to preserve some of the good strains and keep the pure. There are only about three or four good strains left today. Don't cross them as this is the number one sin not only in the USA but even England. I will post a email I got from the club sectary in England. They have their problems also with reds and color.

Nice pictures and keep boosting those old time reds. Would like to see some Strawberry eggers one day. bob

LOL at Bob

I started to mention the other day when Matt said he was gonna work on some of the "Strawberry eggers" I already have some of them to go with my "Cherry eggers" as I have a lighter red color bunch and a dark red colored bunch and they both lay eggs like theres gonna be NO tomorrow I haven't ever really checked to see if the egg color is different yet that might be the next thing I go for in the next stage of developement. LOL

By the way nice looking pure bred red chickens posted up here as of late, I'm gonna try to get some of my toils and strife and fruits of my labors posted on here some day. (not the eggers either) LOL

Jeff

Hi Bob: I will have a look through them again I have been picking the ones with no or little ticking and picking only the clean cockerels. It is improving but looks like it will take a while to eradicate just didn’t know if there was a quicker way but like anything in reds it will be hard work and perseverance that is the order of the day.

I never had it ( black in the male Hackle) until a few years ago and a lot of my pullets had no ticking which was not a problem for me. Then a top breeder who I originally got my birds from died and left me his best cockerel. He was a super rich colour but had the green in the neck but Mike said he would be a good breeding bird so i used him, however that is where this black in the hackle started I went from no black to lots of black in one year and have been trying to get it out since.

I think the main thing will be selecting pullets with the least black in the neck. I will cut my breeding pens back I usually run 5 or 6 pullets to a cockerel and have 2 pens but this year I will cut back to 4 females to one male and take extra care to match them up to try and get rid of this problem.

The only other option is buy a male in with no black in the hackle but that could cause more problems than it solves as I never see any reds that are as good as mine what do you think?
Regards Rick

Hi Richard: Don’t buy a male from someone else unless they are your birds you sold them. I will right more latter, got to go to work bob

This is a email from my friend in England. I have seen this happen befor you got our strain going good you get a bird you think will or maybe help you and you cross it into your line with out having a small matting or a test mating and you see what happens. If you get some birds with say lots of black in the males neck you may not want to use this new male and scrap the Free male from contaminating your flock with faults that may take you years to breed out.

Many times and it has happen here a senior master breeder gets careless and lets his guard down and his flock goes down hill. Mainly its caused by old age and forgetfulness. One breeder I know inbreed his birds so bad when his son took over his flock of over 50 years he had to cross in new blood to get fertility back in order. Instead of using a Standard breed bird he used production reds and took him about seven years to get back to ground zero in color. What a mistake in my view you can cross a good dark Standard breed bird and just work out the color faults over three or four years.

It could be the old timer who gave the male to my friend got a bird from someone he helped and the person told him the bird was pure his line but this person crossed some other breeders bird into the old line. This is how you get into trouble with faults like this.

I have no idea but all you can do is select and cull over time and get back to females with correct ticking and males that are clean in the neck section from black. I hope you will remember this story and avoid yourself many hard ships and excess expense over a period of time in crossing or getting supposedly new birds from the same stain or different. What normally happens a person will get careless and disobey this lay of keeping your strain pure to the line you started with and cross say a strain from Rhode Island a good strain with a strain from Illinois or Minnesota and then you are in for a jolt and a surprise. They think they will hit the lottery but in reality they hit bank reputes.

My friend in England will over come this he is a smart breeder and will learn his lesson.

First I want to say, "Please, don't anyone think that I'm trying to be smart with this post." I took a few pictures of one of the cockerels from the bunch that I hatched from dinahmoe (Don Nelson lines) and am putting them here so you can see that there is NO black what so ever in his neck. This is the same bird that I have pictured above in the post to Chris. His tail is as green as can be with not a touch of black that I can see. Of course, he doesn't have his full tail yet, he just turned 5 months old today. Also am posting a few of my young Mohawks from Paul Gingerich. Click on picture to enlarge. When the sun shines on him he as deep dark mahogany as can be. Other than his tail not being in yet, he is one gorgeous fella. I put the picture of the pullet so you can see the black lacing on her neck.

This last picture is for Jeff. ha,ha. I told you how mean I thought my RC's look. Now if this fella doesn't take the award for the best looking RIR on this forum I think someone is voting against me just to be dirty. lol This is the meanest looking bird I think I have on the place. Sure do hope that things change like you said yours did. Oh my gosh. I think everyone should have a bunch like this guy.

Back
Top Bottom