The Honey Factory

Is it a myth that you have to move a hive a mile or 3, or it confuses them? I have wondered about moving them short distances, like closer to the house.
IMO yes . If you are concerned on a move during warm weather - honey flo just put a small branch - weed at the entrance . Said to slow them up and they do a orientation .

Is it a myth that you have to move a hive a mile or 3, or it confuses them? I have wondered about moving them short distances, like closer to the house.
My take, and I don't have bees, just lots of reading about them, is that if you move the entire hive they will still find the hive and go back to it, one reason a loot of people paint all of their hives different colors is because the bees know I live in the red one or the blue one etc. If you are splitting a hive, you have to do the 1-3 miles thing because otherwise the ones you split off will spot their old hive and just go back home rather than continuing to live in the new hive.

I did see a split where they only moved them a few feet away with the assumption that the nurse bees (the youngest ones) wouldn't leave the hive to go back, they would stay with the brood and queen cell but all of the foragers would return to the old hive once they went out the first time so they had to give the new split a bit more honey reserves because they wouldn't have any foragers for a while until the nurse bees got old enough to forage.

I took a picture of a few dead bees in front of the mean hive.

my guess is the hive is empty. Enlarge it to see the millions of dead girls.
8C0338FA-92DC-4096-8B8F-74D1BF3C4FC8.jpeg

No mass of dead bees here . I have noticed bees out on the 45-50 degree days . More on the small hive . IDK why . Genetics maybe . I have been watching videos of different mite treatments . I see the UK and Canada use a dribble method . I also see wood bleach is oxalic acid and some use it .

No mass of dead bees here . I have noticed bees out on the 45-50 degree days . More on the small hive . IDK why . Genetics maybe . I have been watching videos of different mite treatments . I see the UK and Canada use a dribble method . I also see wood bleach is oxalic acid and some use it .
My Italian hive is out when the temp is in the 40s but the Saskatraz wait until it is in the 50s.

Back
Top Bottom