The horrible topic about the time to kill ?What about¿

Please excuse some who think that English is everyones first language.

I have bantams, gallos pequenos and have found an easy way for me to kill when necessary.

I grasp the chicken in one hand and place their head on the ground under a broomstick.

Put your foot on the broomstick with the chickens head still under the stick.

Grasp the chicken with both hands and pull the body with a sharp tug, your foot remains on the stick.

The chickens head may come off or the neck will be dislocated. Either way the chicken is dead quickly. If the head comes off, there will be blood coming from the neck area.

The wings will flap and feet twitch for many seconds. Just hold the chicken body until it is quiet.

Then you can bleed it and continue .

If you want only to have chickens for eggs and pets, do it. Get your chicken meat at the market.
Or ask someone at the market to kill your chickens for you and give them part of the meat.

Quote:
That's a good idea for those that can't do it. I actually looked for someone to do it and the closest was over 50 miles into another state.
By the time I drove there and paid to have it done plus the price of chicks, shipping, feed, pens, equipment, etc. it would have made the chicken about $10 per bird. I could buy organic free range chicken at Whole Foods market WAAAY cheaper than that.
That was enough to decide to do it myself and have ever since.

Quote:
You don't HAVE to, but it's a lot easier to keep them on the grill or in the pot that way

You are right, I´m an hypocrete because I must be vegetarian. That is the trust.

I had no intention of ever killing one of my pets, but one became ill and threatened the well being of the rest of my flock. I made the decision to cull (kill) it.
The .22 or the method described by ruthless seems the quickest, more humane way to put a chicken down. It's the ugly part of owning chickens.
Whether you eat meat or not you may need to put a pet down because of disease or an attack by a predator.

To kill a chicken humanely with a shot from a .22 would require very, very, accurate placement of the bullet. If someone is this upset about killing a chicken to start with I have my doubts about how well they are going to pull it off.

Quijote - have you read through the "stickies" at the top of this forum yet? There are some very helpful reads there about killing your birds. I have found the easiest and best way for the chicken is to slit their necks while they are upside down in a cone to hold/restrain them. It's not easy at first, but you get used to it. If you see the way they kill birds/animals in some other places, it makes you appreciate doing it yourself.

This thread is VERY graphic, but it shows a member killing their chicken. It's very helpful and it's the way I do mine.

Do you have chickens that are ready to process or were you considering buying some for meat?

I just look at the first "stickie" picture and sorry but I can´t keep on.
The dark side of the farm....the movies was in the real way, my god!!
I repeat: I regard myself an hypocrete due I can´t look that but I like to eat a good chiken cooking.
Anyway, my best regards and sincerely thanks for all you because you have helped and oriented me a lot. I have decided to buy meat in the shop and give to my animals a life as long as possible in my house.
When the death ring my bell, she will be who chose among all us, not me.
My best wishes in this Chrismats.

To each their own! I don't think you're a hypocrite if you can't kill your own bird. It's understandable that it is difficult if not impossible for some people.

I do encourage everyone I know to purchase locally/ethically grown meats whenever possible, though!
smile.png

Merry Christmas to you, too! And to all of your chickens!
D.gif

Quote:
I have to say, although I respect all you guys on here that can kill and eat their own chickens, after seeing that, itsy, I am absolutely positive that I will have to buy store bought chicken the rest of my life! I just don't have the stomache for it.
sickbyc.gif

I understand that is is difficult to even think of taking a life of your pet. Not to mention even think of eating that animal. It is easier to buy meat from butchers or grocery stores in 'meat' form rather than thinking about what that meat is or where it is from. Many people have this line of thought, and it is ok.

If you ever do decide to butcher your own chickens this forum can guide you through the process to make sure it is as humane and quick as anyone would want for their beloved birds. This site is chock full of information. Good luck in your chicken adventures!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom