The horrible topic about the time to kill ?What about¿

I can´t yet erase from my mind that sinister stainless steel cone, attached at the wall, covered in blood with the farmer laughing beside.
Really pathetic.

I assure you that many of us do not laugh about killing anything. It upsets me to have to kill one of my chickens but due to illness and injury, sometimes it is necessary.

We all have our own goals and our own reasons for owning chickens. According to a poll of the members of the forum, less than 10% of the people on this forum keep their chickens for meat. Many people that do not process their own chickens buy meat from the grocery. There is nothing hypocritical in your attitude. You are probably in the majority on this forum.

I am one of the few that raise chickens for meat. I can process them, but I never enjoy the killing part. I can do it because I have to or I would not have chickens. I personally prefer to raise them myself and know how they have been treated and fed. I try to give them a good life where they chase bugs and scratch for various creepy crawlies. I try to treat them with respect and be as humane as possible, but I can do it. I don't enjoy killing the predators that threaten my flock either, but I do it because I feel it is necessary. I have an obligation to protect the chickens. You may see some people that enjoy the killing part, but I am not one of them.

The sad part of dealing with living animals, whether livestock or pets, is that you will occasionally have to deal with dead animals. That is unavoidable. But how you deal with animals while they are living is up to you. Don't feel bad if your way is different than someone else's. We are all different.

Last edited:
Quote:
I think he's just smiling for the camera. I doubt he's laughing about the whole thing. The man that wrote that post is actually quite self sustainable. It's an interesting thought, though - When you're eating chicken.... SOMEONE killed it. So it did die for you to eat it. I was happy when I raised my meat chickens that they had a great life before they died for my food. I killed them quickly, unlike in some factory type situations. They weren't crowded and stressed. They were happy chickens. I don't enjoy the killing either - but I do get a peace of mind knowing that if I'm going to eat meat that the meat was happy, healthy and had a good life.

Quote:
As a farmer myself, I'd say that was a bit rude. The pathetic people are the ones who can't bring themselves to kill their own food, yet eat chicken from the store and pretend they don't know how that chicken lived and were killed.

Quote:
As a farmer myself, I'd say that was a bit rude. The pathetic people are the ones who can't bring themselves to kill their own food, yet eat chicken from the store and pretend they don't know how that chicken lived and were killed.

He's referring to Frugal's post . The first photo is him smiling next to this killing cone. To someone who is uneasy about the whole process looking in' - it is a little bit disconcerting. I don't think the OP means for it to be rude, but I think there's something lost in translation because English is not their first language. Perhaps they were referring to themselves as being "pathetic" that they couldn't do it - or they simply chose the wrong word to use. I think we need to recognize that so we can be a little understanding about the OP's tone.

Quote:

He's referring to Frugal's post . The first photo is him smiling next to this killing cone. To someone who is uneasy about the whole process looking in' - it is a little bit disconcerting. I don't think the OP means for it to be rude, but I think there's something lost in translation because English is not their first language. Perhaps they were referring to themselves as being "pathetic" that they couldn't do it - or they simply chose the wrong word to use. I think we need to recognize that so we can be a little understanding about the OP's tone.

If the OP was referring to themselves then I take back my comment completely

Quote:
I think he's just smiling for the camera. I doubt he's laughing about the whole thing. The man that wrote that post is actually quite self sustainable. It's an interesting thought, though - When you're eating chicken.... SOMEONE killed it. So it did die for you to eat it. I was happy when I raised my meat chickens that they had a great life before they died for my food. I killed them quickly, unlike in some factory type situations. They weren't crowded and stressed. They were happy chickens. I don't enjoy the killing either - but I do get a peace of mind knowing that if I'm going to eat meat that the meat was happy, healthy and had a good life.

I agree completely. I am a person who would have felt the same way as the OP, several years ago. In fact, because I was so traumatized by thinking about the animals' deaths... I was a vegetarian.

Then I started realizing that the industry chickens are continually dying in massive slaughters with bad situations where they are suffering terrible things. No one cared if they suffered when they are alive -- and no one cared for their suffering when killing them. Some are still alive when the machines pluck and eviscerate them.

My own chickens are strong, healthy, active, and well fed. They get to fly, jump, take dust baths, and free-range for all kinds of insects. They lay beautiful eggs. Some go broody and raise baby chicks. They get to molt and grow luscious feathers again. The boys get to fertilize their "women". When they die I cry, and it hurts me to end their lives. It's very hard on me when I kill them, I dread it. But the egg-layers, if healthy, will live about 3 years here. And, depends on their crowing, my roosters live up to 6 months here before slaughter - because I can't keep them much longer. I can't ask the birds, of course, but I have a sense that any chicken would rather live, and die, here with me than in an industrial egg operation or meat facility. I sense they would say "yes" to this, even if they can't be kept alive forever.

Last edited:
Dear friend.
I apologize if I have upset somebody, but I must be pretty clear in my exposure despite my poor English, language which I love deepty.
I wrote "really pathetic" refering to a scene seen by me in this forum; in that scene appear a farmer; therefore, some farmer who has nothing to do with, feels alluded and upset. That is all. I´m very sorry.
Escuse but I just have been invited to lunch by a farmer good friend and I have to drive my bike to a near village and I´m getting late.
This evenig I will post again.
Regards.

Back
Top Bottom