1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

the HUGE egg we got today.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by howipinchapenny, Sep 24, 2009.

1. howipinchapenny

howipinchapenny In the Brooder

Apr 19, 2009
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is a double yolk 3 7/8 oz egg. The thing is HUGE!!! It fills the palm of my hand!
    [​IMG]
    My question is what is that 'crack' line in the middle. It looks like it is a fuse of 2 eggs together.

Is this normal? Should I expect it to happen again?

2. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Wow! That's huge! [​IMG]

3. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

Wow! That is one huge egg! It does look like two eggs fused together. Maybe your chicken "misfired"! I've had double-yolkers before, but never with the line, like that.

Very cool! [​IMG]

Do you know which of your chickens laid it? I'd guess it's the one whose eyes are watering! [​IMG]

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Nice!!! That's a big one! Congrats [​IMG]

5. fldiver97

fldiver97 Songster

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    Ouch....really looks like 2 'wanna-be' eggs fused neatly. Hey, it happens in people.....Is it a double yolker? I guess double yolkers/large eggs happen occasionally, have not seen one with a distinct line in the shell like that though...Pretty neat!

6. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    WOW! I had a great big one once from one of my Cornish Rocks and it was a triple yolker! Yours might be a quad yolker. [​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hey, is this part of "Candid Coopery<' it's s trick egg right - glued together - we can see the line.

Just kidding, I wonder if you have an Emu leaving eggs behind.

8. cwhit590

cwhit590 Songster

Nov 6, 2008
    SW Michigan
    Ouchies! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by