The Hummingbird Haven

Caught speeding along in search of nectar.
1686432778719.png

Been staying with my grandmother for over a decade (I’m cheaper than in-home nursing and even the least decent homes she could go to). Never been hummingbird feeders there since I started. But last year, a hummingbird started blitzing my face while on the porch. By fall, I promised it I would put out a feeder this year; so I did. Now, I’m pretty sure the one that pestered me into it is the l'il bugger that doesn’t wanna be looked at. I sit near the feeder, it comes up and sees if I’m looking before it will drink. If I keep staring elsewhere, it’ll fill up. If I so much as raise an eyebrow to look t it, it takes off. Others are fine, just that one is paranoid of paparazzi. Another one even came inches from my nose wanting to speak to the manager when there was a wasp on the feeder. But the one that got me into this… demands that I respect his ghosthood. Are they this quirky in general?

You should have seen me while I was sitting on my front porch earlier eating dinner when 3 angry hummingbirds came zooming down from the tree branches and hovered right in front of my face as I was chewing a bite of food. I immediately stopped chewing and glanced over at their feeder closest to me and saw why they were so upset…The sugar water was getting cloudy and they were reminding me that it needed changing again!

Been staying with my grandmother for over a decade (I’m cheaper than in-home nursing and even the least decent homes she could go to). Never been hummingbird feeders there since I started. But last year, a hummingbird started blitzing my face while on the porch. By fall, I promised it I would put out a feeder this year; so I did. Now, I’m pretty sure the one that pestered me into it is the l'il bugger that doesn’t wanna be looked at. I sit near the feeder, it comes up and sees if I’m looking before it will drink. If I keep staring elsewhere, it’ll fill up. If I so much as raise an eyebrow to look t it, it takes off. Others are fine, just that one is paranoid of paparazzi. Another one even came inches from my nose wanting to speak to the manager when there was a wasp on the feeder. But the one that got me into this… demands that I respect his ghosthood. Are they this quirky in general?
Hi @Whiskybear I just made it back to this thread after not being on BYC for a bit and saw your post. I hope your Grandmother is doing okay? It is kind of you to have been taking care of her firstly!
The hummingbirds are most definitely like this, very strong personalities and they are keen to any movement you make for sure. Some of ours refuse to come over to a feeder when you are outside. Some will come over but any eye movement or finger twitch scares them. Others don't care you can be painting a canvas and they pay you no mind. I've had them come up to me while I am out in the yard and hover in my face and it usually means something is up- there's ants in my feeder or refill that feeder woman! They sometimes will approach you if you wear certain bright colored clothing to check if you are indeed an extra large flower or not? My point being they are such characters! Will you make up nectar for them this year?

I wanted to stop by and say our first Ruby-throated of the year came today. @Blooie wherever you are I hope you are doing well today. I was thinking of how you told me about putting out the little red bandana and I swear it is always lucky!

Hi @Whiskybear I just made it back to this thread after not being on BYC for a bit and saw your post. I hope your Grandmother is doing okay? It is kind of you to have been taking care of her firstly!
The hummingbirds are most definitely like this, very strong personalities and they are keen to any movement you make for sure. Some of ours refuse to come over to a feeder when you are outside. Some will come over but any eye movement or finger twitch scares them. Others don't care you can be painting a canvas and they pay you no mind. I've had them come up to me while I am out in the yard and hover in my face and it usually means something is up- there's ants in my feeder or refill that feeder woman! They sometimes will approach you if you wear certain bright colored clothing to check if you are indeed an extra large flower or not? My point being they are such characters! Will you make up nectar for them this year?
Sadly, my grandmother is now in a nursing home after the foundation of that house failed this winter.
I will probably set feeders out this spring at my now main residence.

Back
Top Bottom