The Hummingbird Haven

Pics
@Isadora - Firstly, make sure your feeders are in a visible area. Another potential issue could be a territorial hummingbird - one bird guarding one (or multiple) feeders in a close range and not allowing more birds to get to it.

The universal nectar ratio is 1 part sugar to 4 parts water (for example, 1/4 cup sugar to 1 cup water). It can be slightly adjusted based on their needs such as Winter time or migration, or heat of the Summer. Also, keeping the feeders cleaned and not having a bad mixture (letting it sit beyond a couple of days, it gets almost fermented smelling in the sun, and will become cloudy) by keeping feeders changed is important.

I use the 1:4 ratio and have been for years with success. It is easy to make and they will feed from it without all those nasty store-bought mixes and red dyes.

Make sure you are using the right sugar in your mix:

@Isadora - Firstly, make sure your feeders are in a visible area. Another potential issue could be a territorial hummingbird - one bird guarding one (or multiple) feeders in a close range and not allowing more birds to get to it.

The universal nectar ratio is 1 part sugar to 4 parts water (for example, 1/4 cup sugar to 1 cup water). It can be slightly adjusted based on their needs such as Winter time or migration, or heat of the Summer. Also, keeping the feeders cleaned and not having a bad mixture (letting it sit beyond a couple of days, it gets almost fermented smelling in the sun, and will become cloudy) by keeping feeders changed is important.

I use the 1:4 ratio and have been for years with success. It is easy to make and they will feed from it without all those nasty store-bought mixes and red dyes.

Make sure you are using the right sugar in your mix:
I wanted to make homemade because I didn't like the idea of the dye in the red ones from the store.
I remember the 1/4 ratio but I didn't realize it went bad so quickly. I bet that's what the problem was. Thank you so much! We're at a new house this year and I haven't put up feeders before for them, so we'll see if I can attract them!

I wanted to make homemade because I didn't like the idea of the dye in the red ones from the store.
I remember the 1/4 ratio but I didn't realize it went bad so quickly. I bet that's what the problem was. Thank you so much! We're at a new house this year and I haven't put up feeders before for them, so we'll see if I can attract them!
You can also mix up a week’s worth and store it in the fridge. I do that all the time.

Yes, what Blooie says is true, @Isadora - boil your water if you are going to store in the fridge. I just pick up a water jug for $1 at the grocery store or two and use them to store the mix, labeling the side of the jug. If you store in the fridge, no more than a week. Dump out any unused nectar after that time to prevent spoilage. I use this when we are in the busy season, or I'd run out!

You'll want to change your nectar daily in really hot weather, it can get nasty pretty quickly especially in direct sun (maybe twice a day if it is really in sun and super hot out).

Set yourself out a tester feeder - "scout" feeder. Have a feeder with a small bit of nectar in it and set it out in a visible part of the yard. Hang something red nearby to catch a bit of wind - a ribbon, a bandana, a flag, or something of that nature. To help attract their attention! The feeder coloring, and the moving item to catch their eye nearby, is a good setup. (Those nasty red dyes are pointless and can be harmful, and some of those store-bought mixes have crazy preservatives.)

Hey there @Blooie and Hummingbird Haven! Guess who came to visit for the first time this year? An adult male Ruby-throated Hummingbird appeared today! One day late to last year's first sighting. We placed a game camera on the feeder - no clue how it would work, but it did!

hummer.png

Hey there @Blooie and Hummingbird Haven! Guess who came to visit for the first time this year? An adult male Ruby-throated Hummingbird appeared today! One day late to last year's first sighting. We placed a game camera on the feeder - no clue how it would work, but it did!

View attachment 3030476
Oh, I’m so excited for you! Ain’t he a little beaut? Game camera….what a great idea!!!

Back
Top Bottom