The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

Quote:
NAWWWWWWWWWWW, not enough fluff there. Too much leg showing.
lau.gif

I think they're still in their "project stages" Kathy, thus the lack of leg fluff.
wink.png

Haha!
tongue.png

I wonder Joy, would it be easier to import from another country besides the UK, like Germany or Poland or other countries that are part of the EU?

When you imported, was the United Kingdom your only option?

Quote:
Brian I read was over in the UK and went to some Shows.
I seen Brian post this pic the other nite on a thread else where that did not stay up too long.
This is a very nice LF Black cock
76167_1595295175251_1622105670_1390459_3584423_n.jpg

Quote:
I'm not exactly sure what is involved with importing from other countries. It was relatively easy with UK because UK is free of END. We imported eggs and they did not have to be incubated in quarantine. In some countries, I know the eggs have to be incubated in quarantine, then the chicks have to remain in quarantine for another 30 days. I don't think Germany is END free, but I wouldn't swear to that.

THe APHIS website has all the info on that.

Quote:
From what I understand, he doesn't even have orpingtons, so I doubt he would have one. Also, he has been quite vocal in his distaste for the English Orps.

He is pro APA. A judge I believe. And that has to bias his idea of what an Orp should look like. I do not know what breeds he has. I guessed he would be over there to check out poultry and would have a UK SOP for the breeds he does follow and raise. I agree, IF you don't raise a given breed and or variety, you should be polite and say nothing.
My favorite analogy is, no one stops and stares and makes fun of garbage. So do not listen to what others think. As it is, it is those who do not own any making the fuss. I have alot of UK blood running in my Blues. Heck I only had 2 real Blues Orps to work with this past season, and they were from Julie, and one (should have been culled) Blue splash APA style hen. And she is now 100% Blue. She has an extremely lite eye, and I threw her in with BUS. So, my best Blue cockerels are 50% from Julie's lines. You seen them. They may not be perfect, but I like L A R S
He is as wide as tall and long. I need to work on his undercut chest. But other then that he is what I have to work with for now. Last I checked no one has the perfect Orp. We all have strengths and weaknesses to work out. And that is all that matters. Finishing the birds as best as you like. Cause no one is paying my feed bills like you already said. And they need to keep their opinions to themselves.

I see interest in what other countries to look into importing from. Go check out the Buff color that is being shown in Germany on the Leghorn thread.

Last edited:
The Germans have been perfecting the Orps for awhile. The UKer's are buying from them in several colors. They have the best goldlaced Orps in the World.

Thanks new person for posting the SOP for UK I did have a copy but I am just getting back home and on this evening.

They all have those nice round chest, so full.
Kathy that black pullet with the heart shape is awesome. Look at her tail. Love it.

Once I saw those big ole fluffy birds in pictures in the UK it ruined me for any other chicken. I sold all my RIR's, silkies, Domiques, and I really like all of them.

I hope one day someone can get some buffs over here. I would love to see that width in the birds here.

I am with you, Julie .... I have fallen in love with these beauties, for sure! They are so graceful running across the lawn. Pure beauty to me. They are gorgeous, for sure. I do like the other colors, but am quite content with the B/B/S. I love all the shades of blue, not boring at all.... variety is nice like that. I have really fallen for the blacks, too. No splash here, so will have to work on that. I guess I have no favorite, like I used to. Now I love all the B/B/S !

Okay - seems I missed the heart-shaped black pullet. I'll have to go back and find it.

I'm with you all. Once I saw the English BBS, I had to have them. I re-homed all my other birds, and now all I have are my English BBS Orpingtons. I love the size, the fluff, the colors...now if we could get some other colors over here and on my farm, life would be perfect
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom