The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

Depends on the question- what are you trying to find out?

I have some imported BBS English Orps, but have some brassy/brown in some feathering on the offspring. I'm wondering if this is common, or not. I've seen it in some standards also.

it happens on occasion, there are lots of pages with genetic info as to what causes it out there. I have had a few import birds with it but my first ones were American lines and almost all of those had it, so either bad genetics or very dishonest breeders making mutts and passing them off as orps... dont think it doesnt happen. lots of them on BYC make mutts and call them orps. dont fall for it.

Quote: I am not sure if it is common or not? But I also have seen it on a few blues that I have seen pics of...I have personally never had this issue thankfully. But I was wondering how do you go about to correct the brassy/brown leakage on BBS Orps...I know you would cull the ones that show the leakage but what about their siblings that dont show the leakage but may carry the gene for it and carry that gene to future generations?

Hi, I'm new to this thread and to English Orps. I have 2 Buff Pullets about 16 weeks of age. Their faces are starting to redden. Does this seem too soon? Is it the same indicator of maturity as with standard hens? Neither is squatting yet but I was surprised to see them coloring so early. Any thoughts on this?

Also, I have 3 chicks blue and buff cross about 3 weeks old. At what age can I start playing the roo/pullet guessing game? Thank you for any help!

Back
Top Bottom