The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

I just returned from the WI International show. There were 2300 entries and a good turn out. It was so busy, crowded and I am so glad to be home. I am looking forward to my bed tonight.

I had a bird on Champion Row and that is pretty exciting. This was the very first time my DH was with and witnessed that type of excitement and the presentation of awards and money. I was just s excited for him as any thing. I can almost guarantee my building will get done faster now. I think he wanted to walk around with ribbons flutter in the breeze out of his pockets.

He was in full moult and still placed BV. The judge loved his bone structure and attitude.

I will not bore the thread with my other birds and pictures. I just wanted to post Champion Row girls and my Orp..It was a great show.
smile.png
Congrats!.... I bet that was a lot of fun ")

I wonder if I could get some feedback. My lavender hen has shafting in her main tail. Is this common in lavenders? None of my other girls ever had it.

Also, I am not sure what is going on with her tail and wings. It looks like the feathers have been cut off with a pair of scissors. I find it odd that the feathers broke off straight across. She has been broody for about a month so she is likely damaging the feathers in the nest box but I never seen them snap off clean quit like this.

Last edited:
I wonder if I could get some feedback. My lavender hen has shafting in her main tail. Is this common in lavenders? None of my other girls ever had it.

Also, I am not sure what is going on with her tail and wings. It looks like the feathers have been cut off with a pair of scissors. I find it odd that the feathers broke off straight across. She has been broody for about a month so she is likely damaging the feathers in the nest box but I never seen them snap off clean quit like this.

I agree with Walt. Lavenders are known for very brittle feathers though. It seems that feather quality is a huge problem in that variety.

A mouse is probably chewing the tail feathers off while she sits.

Walt

Yeah, I wondered about that. Guess its time for more One Bite.

I just thought is so weird that they are cut straight across. It is hard to see in the photo but the wings also have the same issue. I though mice would make the feather more shredded looking but perhaps the brittleness make it easier for them to snap it right off. Urg.

On that note. Is there anything that can be fed to them to make their feathers less brittle. Perhaps mineral oil in their food? I hate to make these girls any fatter tho.

Last edited:
Yeah,  I wondered about that.  Guess its time for more One Bite.  

I just thought is so weird that they are cut straight across.  It is hard to see in the photo but the wings also have the same issue.  I though mice would make the feather more shredded looking but perhaps the brittleness make it easier for them to snap it right off.  Urg.  

On that note.  Is there anything that can be fed to them to make their feathers less brittle.  Perhaps mineral oil in their food?  I hate to make these girls any fatter tho.  

I have one pen that has a mouse feather chewing problem there Shamo's in that pen with perfectly straight cuts to the tails caused by mice

w

Back
Top Bottom