The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

It's been a while since I posted pics of the Blue Partridge and they are nearly all grown up :love . It was such a beautiful day today to take pictures and thought I would share them. A couple of the Lovely Ladies, And one of their Guys! One hens is playing Peek-a-boo And a triangle of color I am so proud of these kids and their color is just as vivid as the pictures :)
Gorgeous! How do you make Blue Partridge?

Gorgeous! How do you make Blue Partridge?

Step 1:

Partridge X Splash= 100% F1 Blue offspring, all recessively carrying the genes necessary to produce Blue Partridge offspring, with varying degrees of red/gold leakeage (especially in the males)

Step 2:

F1 Blue X F1 Blue= F2 BBS offspring similar to their F1 parents, as well as F2 Blue Patridge, F2 Black Partridge and F2 Splash Partridge offspring.

Step 3:

Breed the F2 Blue, Black, and Splash Partridge X F2 Blue, Black, and Splash Partridge (or to another unrelated line of Patridge birds) to clean up color and help to define the partridge pattern.

Aaaand with some selective breeding, as well as heavy culling of unwanted birds you'll then have a new line of Blue Partridge Orps.

smile.png

I'm not really sure what green grass and leaves look like anymore. Thanks for the reminder as I still have a little bit of snow on the ground. We might get to 55 today. Baseball games in the 30's is nuts! About froze last night.

I'm hoping someone on this thread can help. I'm trying to figure out what color two of my chicks are. Any thoughts are appreciated!

1. The breeder has crele, lemon cuckoo and lemon blue parents but doesn't know what pen my eggs came from. My lemon cuckoo chicks are obvious but I've never had one that looked this:

2. The breeder has all barred stock with the exception of one red cockerel he didn't think was fertile at the time. I've read some red chicks look golden until they are older...if the chick came from two barred parents wouldn't it be barred like all my other chicks?

Loved the partridges, everyone. Are they easier to breed, pattern wise, than a laced bird?

I'd imagine they'd be just as difficult, if not a bit harder as the Partridge pattern is double laced.

That and there is a difference in pattern between males and females.

But, I've never bred either, so I dunno for sure!
tongue.png

I'd imagine they'd be just as difficult, if not a bit harder as the Partridge pattern is double laced.

That and there is a difference in pattern between males and females.

But, I've never bred either, so I dunno for sure!
tongue.png

I think the Partridge are a little more difficult as well. The Laced (Gold, Silver etc) can have lacing that is a little incomplete and still be very lovely birds, but because the Partridge is double laced if it isn't nice and crisp it just kind of looks smutty, or smeared. But even those (and there will be some) can be fixed by selective breeding. Oh gosh
love.gif
they're just all so beautiful!!

Back
Top Bottom