The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

. ... In a few years I don't think we will have much of a American to English Orpington comparison but more of a good quality to hatchery quality.  Once again just my opinion.

I agree completely... here in America it will be a natural progression to move the English birds just a tad to the APA standards for show puposes, and as more English birds end up in shows, for the APA judges to tend to lean just a tad more toward the English type (not to the extreme English type, obviously) in thier preferences. Regardless, very well bred American orps aren't THAT much different than the majority of well bred 'pure English' birds we have here in the states.

I tend to think in a few years, the APA judges will begin to favor the extremely full breast more common in English type orps, but with a tad more tighter feathering like American birds. Of course, whatever seems to be most favored will be completely different animals compared to poorly bred or hatchery 'Orps' so common here.

My first gold laced rooster.

@ameraucanacrazy

I think that is going to be a great rooster when he gets done growing... He already looks like a very, very nice cockrel. I'm partial to the GLO's... for some reason, they are my favorites hands-down.

As an aside, I'm looking for a English lavender cockrel... I'm pretty picky, so I'll need pics of the actual bird and parents if possible. If anyone has a spare, keep me in mind!

@ameraucanacrazy

I think that is going to be a great rooster when he gets done growing... He already looks like a very, very nice cockrel. I'm partial to the GLO's... for some reason, they are my favorites hands-down.

As an aside, I'm looking for a English lavender cockrel... I'm pretty picky, so I'll need pics of the actual bird and parents if possible. If anyone has a spare, keep me in mind!
Ameraucanacrazy - Very nice rooster.

The Golden Laced are my favorite as far as eye candy but they drive me crazy with the on and off laying. I did get an egg today which is the first in weeks but who knows I may not get another for a couple of months.
th.gif

so im sure you've been asked this question numerous times, but what is the difference between an Orpington and an English Orpington? Are they apa standardized?

Imported line English orps lean more towards the fluff of the Cochin than is allowed in the American SOP. A show quality, SOP American Orp will mostly otherwise resemble the English and vice-versa. The real difference is between American or Engliah SOP birds and hatchery stock (which are what most people are familiar with).

I am new to chickens and have a question that might sound silly, but if you breed a Cuckoo Orpington with a Chocolate Orpington will you get some Chocolate Cuckoo Orpingtons?....thanks

Back
Top Bottom