The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

I have a problem and I was wondering if yall can help me out. My friend Doug is a really good friend of mine and I get almost all my bords from him I throw a few new lines in once in a while but mainly him. Well he has had 2 silver laced Roos and they have both died the first died of a raccoon and the second got to breeding age and started breeding and just died. Does anyone know what the problem is? I really wanna find him a roo for a good price of you know where to get one that would help a lot!
Thanks in advance!
I don't know. I am really curious about the silver laced genetics. Lot's of people with fertility problems. And I can't find anything on how this breed was developed. I have 5 chicks on order at this point from 2 different breeders. Crossing my fingers!!!! Anyone know how this coloring gene developed?

I don't know.  I am really curious about the silver laced genetics.  Lot's of people with fertility problems.  And I can't find anything on how this breed was developed.  I have 5 chicks on order at this point from 2 different breeders.  Crossing my fingers!!!!  Anyone know how this coloring gene developed?
I ask this to myself all the time but never find anything

I assume the Wyandotte was used many many generations ago and bred to orpingtons to eventually produce true breeding SL orps.
Once in a blue moon a SL orp with yellow legs will pop up in everyone's bloodline so that only strengthens that theory. I have no way to know for sure but that's my guess :)

I've never had any real fertility problems with mine. I do notice SL Orp roosters are slow to mature. Mine don't start fertilizing eggs until around 10-11 months most of the time. But once they start, they are fairly reliable.

mccoyorps. your web site is not showing up. I am a mccoy by birth too. Is your state going to refuse to allow shipments out too. Almost all the states are going on quarantine due to the virus issues?

mccoyorps. your web site is not showing up. I am a mccoy by birth too. Is your state going to refuse to allow shipments out too. Almost all the states are going on quarantine due to the virus issues?
Where did you hear this? I went to USDA and they are only restricting the import of birds from outside the US with CAnada and UK still having same restrictions. If you are finding this info elswhere would you mind sharing a link so I can stay abreast?

Hi, my name is Angel, and I live in MN. I am a noob... Was raised around chickens but never had my own flock. Inherited my grandparents home. And now have a full acre and a small barn that was a chicken coop converted to a two horse stable. I am now going to refit it for chickens. It will take time...I am 65 and disabled but I had it wired for electricity when we converted it to horses (and I have a whiz bang electric fencer) only thing I don't have is running water. Guess you can't have it TOO cushy. Need to add extra boards low on the paddock, run chicken wire/hardware cloth around the whole thing, wire it against dogs, fox, coyote, then build smaller runs inside so I can put covering on it to protect from hawks, eagles and owls.
Of course I intend to populate with 100% English Orps. I know I want blues. And lavenders. Thinking chocolate would be nice too. Can only have 1 roo so am thinking lavender to start out. Hopefully will get a nice blue roo with lav genes to replace him down the road. Hoping to get mauve chicks from the choc.

Where did you hear this? I went to USDA and they are only restricting the import of birds from outside the US with CAnada and UK still having same restrictions. If you are finding this info elswhere would you mind sharing a link so I can stay abreast?
MO. is in the flyway and has just recently gone on quarantine. Other states are following suit in the west coast and midwest. The man from npip testing says for me to keep my hens in an enclosed run with wire on top to prevent other birds and waterfowl from spreading it to my small flock. As the ducks and gueese fly south they are bringing it with them. Its also in Arkansas. This is also from the guy with the npip testing of the agriculture Dep. information. I hate this but have been afraid it would happen when I heard they had found it in the western states. The sites are not up to date. Sorry

Back
Top Bottom