The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread

Luckily living in such an urban environment, we don't have many birds of prey that look to make a meal out of our Orps. I've been super concerned about hawks and such since I started breeding bantams, but luckily so far *knocks on wood* they haven't been an issue.

...that said, raccoons are our most prominent predators. There's a storm drain at the end of our block that a family of coons live in. They come out of it nightly and go down into the creek that runs parallel to our property to feed, drink, etc. Our coops are locked up tight, built with hardware cloth, and are all built without underground access.

We've only ever lost one bird to a raccoon, she had unknowingly flown down into the creek and didn't get put away at night with the others. We had sat down to dinner and heard a terrible squawking coming from outside, I ran out to the coop to check on the birds and nothing seemed to be wrong. The next morning when I checked the creek there were white feathers everywhere...
sad.png
I've since learned my lesson to double count everyone before closing up the coops in the evening.

Last edited:
Luckily living in such an urban environment, we don't have many birds of prey that look to make a meal out of our Orps. I've been super concerned about hawks and such since I started breeding bantams, but luckily so far *knocks on wood* they haven't been an issue.

...that said, raccoons are our most prominent predators. There's a storm drain at the end of our block that a family of coons live in. They come out of it nightly and go down into the creek that runs parallel to our property to feed, drink, etc. Our coops are locked up tight, built with hardware cloth, and are all built without underground access.

We've only ever lost one bird to a raccoon, she had unknowingly flown down into the creek and didn't get put away at night with the others. We had sat down to dinner and heard a terrible squawking coming from outside, I ran out to the coop to check on the birds and nothing seemed to be wrong. The next morning when I checked the creek there were white feathers everywhere...
sad.png
I've since learned my lesson to double count everyone before closing up the coops in the evening.

I had a raccoon visitation the first week (he clearly tried to chew his way into the coop). Gross as this may sound, I shoveled up some of the dirt from where my dog pees and put it around the coop. No more signs of the little bugger. I see muddy footprints in my front yard still, but not in the back or around the coop. I also got those NiteGuard red eye lights. Not sure if they work or not, but so far so good. *knock on wood*

I had a raccoon visitation the first week (he clearly tried to chew his way into the coop). Gross as this may sound, I shoveled up some of the dirt from where my dog pees and put it around the coop. No more signs of the little bugger. I see muddy footprints in my front yard still, but not in the back or around the coop. I also got those NiteGuard red eye lights. Not sure if they work or not, but so far so good. *knock on wood*

Yes, actually having your dog relieve himself around the outside of coop and runs works very well to discourage predators. I here you can buy dried lion dung from zoos to use as 'scat'

thumbsup.gif

Hello everyone,
Sorry to hijack your thread, but can someone please point me in the right direction? I'm looking for good quality pure black English orpingtons. Who would you reccomend?

W
Hello everyone,
Sorry to hijack your thread, but can someone please point me in the right direction? I'm looking for good quality pure black English orpingtons. Who would you reccomend?[/quote

Where are you located? I much admire rockinpaints birds and she ships. There are many others as well. Depending on your locale.

Back
Top Bottom